CHURCH OF ST JAMES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366702.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:28:13.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 50634 95149
SO 5095-5195 CARDINGTON C.P. CARDINGTON
12/11 Church of St. James 13.6.58
Parish church. C12 nave and c.1300 chancel in one, C13 west tower with C14 belfry; south porch dated 1639; chancel restored in 1863 and whole restored 1867-9; porch restored in 1868. Coursed and uncoursed yellow/grey sandstone rubble with grey sandstone ashlar dressings; tower limewashed and cement rendered with dressed grey sandstone belfry and parapet; plain tile roof. Tower: 3 stages; chamfered plinth and string courses, battlemented parapet with chamfered coping, and pyramidal cap with weathervane; straight-sided arched belfry openings with 2 louvred trefoil-headed lights and transoms; second-stage arched openings with 2 louvred chamfered lancet lights, partly blocked to west and blocked to south with clock dated 1860; first-stage chamfered west lancet. Nave; south side: 3 restored C14 windows with 2 trefoil- headed lights and Y-tracery, small chamfered lancet off-centre to left and tall C12 round-arched window high up off-centre to right; C12 round-arched south doorway to left of lancet has one order of shafts with moulded bases and carved capitals (one with stiff leaf), and nail-studded boarded door with strap hinges, inscribed: " CW / 16 A 48 RC WB"; restored timber framed south porch with chamfered stone plinth (raised at sides to form low cill), formerly open sides with turned balusters (inserted C20 glazing), carved scroll brackets supporting moulded bressumer dated: carved struts in gable, moulded barge W boards, and pair of C19 gates with ID PP turned balusters; blocked former 16 39 C12 south doorway or side-chapel arch in centre of nave (apex interrupted by inserted C14 window above) with chamfered reveals, and carved red sandstone stiff leaf capital to left; North side: restored C14 window to left with 2 trefoil-headed lights and Y-tracery; narrow C12 round-arched window high up off- centre to left, and 2 blocked C12 round-arched doorways, one in centre and one to right with large red sandstone tympanum. Chancel: double- chamfered plinth to east and parapeted gable end with cross at apex; south side: chamfered lancet to left and 2-light window to right with Y-tracery; north side: 2-light window to left with Y-tracery and chamfered lancet to right; east end: window with 3 stepped lancet lights under one arch and chamfered recessed stone in apex of gable above said to be dated 1863 (illegible at time of survey - September 1985). Straight joints between nave and chancel in north and south walls; evidence of herringbone masonry in north wall of nave. Interior: 5-bay roof: tie-beam trusses with cusped struts, collars with cusped braces and crownposts, and sets of 3 ogee-stopped chamfered purlins with 2 tiers of cusped windbraces; 4-bay chancel roof with billet- decorated frieze, moulded arch-braced collar-trusses (middle one with moulded tie-beam too), pairs of chamfered purlins with quatrefoils formed by cusped wind braces between; C19 ashlar masonry in walls dividing nave and chancel with billet-decorated tie-beam and panelled ceilure with quatrefoils; C13 tower arch of 2 orders with inner hollow-chamfered and outer roll-moulded with fillet; C13 cinquefoiled piscina with chamfered arch and 2 quatrefoil-shaped bowls; square aumbry to north; plastered nave and stripped chancel; Fittings: wooden reredos of 1868; C19 altar rails; C19 eagle lectern; C19 choir stalls, C17 octagonal wooden pulpit with primitively carved mermen in panels; C19 pews, some with carved initials and place-names (possibly some reused C17 work); stone font of 1868 in memory of the Rev. William Jones Hughes M.A. (d. 1865) has triple shafted stem with moulded bases and chamfered capitals, round bowl with chamfered top, and octagonal wooden cover; C17 parish chest; monuments: Chief Justice Leighton (d. 1607) of Plaish with figure stiffly reclining on side, arch behind with strapwork cartouche above and kneeling figures of family on tomb chest; several C18 and early C19 stone and brass tablets. D. H. S. Cranage, An architectural account of the churches of Shropshire, Part 2, pp.77-9 B.0.E., pp.818-9; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1913), pp.516-7.
Listing NGR: SO5063295148
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 77-79
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 818-819
'Kellys Directory' in Herefordshire and Shropshire, (1913), 516-517
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing