CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1367199
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1367199.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:47:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Norbury
National Grid Reference:
SO 36404 92835

Details

SO 39 SE NORBURY C.P. NORBURY

7/31 Church of All Saints

21.3.68

GV II

Parish church. Late C13 west tower; nave of 1879-80 and chancel of 1892-3, both by Henry Curzon. Rubblestone walls, machine tiled roofs and oak shingles to spire. Nave and chancel in one, west tower with spire, south porch and organ chamber to north of chancel. Late C13 tower with pronounced batter and massive walls has narrow rectangular slits with rough shouldered scoinsons on north, south and west faces, a thin string course at the belfry stage and weathered trefoil headed apertures above; broached spire with weathercock added in 1880. Nave of 4 bays with single lancets and paired cusped windows; continuous chancel of 2 bays has broad cinquefoil headed windows to north and south, East window of triple lancets under a continuous hoodmould with sunken quatrefoil panels beneath; a gable (lit by 3 cinquefoil headed windows) protrudes through the roof slope above the lean-to organ chamber on the north side. Timber south porch on low stone walls (1880) covers the good south door, nail studded with 2 strap hinges ending in fleur-de-lys points, which extend the whole width of the door (?C17); the doorframe itself is probably C18 with C18 panelling above. Interior. Tower arch probably early C14, the late C19 panelled roof (the panels themselves are now painted) probably uses some old timbering (also see the old beam above the chancel screen, where the roof takes the form of a cellure), arch braced roof to chancel (1892); the chancel screen itself is late C19 and has a built-in pulpit, all the other fittings are also late C19, although some earlier wooden panelling may be re-used. The possibly early C14 octagonal font (one side of which is ornamented with a rosette inside a circle) retains its original square stem and raised circular plinth; late C19 stained glass in East window, C17 oak chest and C18 coat of arms in tower. A small brass plate on the north wall of the nave commemorates Mrs Mary Betton (died 1763). Until 1894 Norbury was a dependent chapelry of Lydbury North and in 1521 there is a record that it was dedicated to St Ethelbert. B.O.E. p.219; Cranage Vol.5, Pp.422-3.

Listing NGR: SO3640492835

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
256876
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 422-3
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 219

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01684/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Morgan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].