CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1367522
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1970
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1367522.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:08:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Monkhopton
National Grid Reference:
SO 62562 93424

Details

MONKHOPTON

823/20/1 Church of St Peter 09-MAR-70

II*



Small rural church. C12 core; tower of 1835; later Victorian restoration. Rendered and blocked out and with a tiled roof. Plan of nave with internal W tower; chancel; SW porch; NE vestry with a catslide roof, flat-roofed rectangular block to the NW.

EXTERIOR. Unbuttressed chancel with a trefoil-headed priest's door on the S side with nailhead decoration to the hoodmould. Pevsner considers this likely to be an 1830s copy of a medieval doorway. The uncusped Y-tracery S chancel window is probably 1835 tracery in a C12 opening; 3-light C19 plate-traceried E window; round-headed C12 N window to chancel with a deep internal splay. The N side of the nave has steeply-pointed 2-light traceried windows and one round-headed C12 window with a deep internal splay. Slender embattled W tower of 1835 with a 2-light Y-traceried W window and arched belfry openings with hoodmoulds. The porch has a plain round-headed outer doorway and a chamfered round-headed inner doorway with one order of zig-zag moulding, mostly renewed. The inner face of the doorway has jambs that turn from square section to chamfered and a splayed head.

INTERIOR. Unplastered walls. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Chancel screen with square-headed openings with tracery and traceried openings to the wainscot. Some of the structure may be late medieval but the tracery appears to be C19 or early C20. The W wall has a round-headed tower arch and, above it, a C12 round-headed window, now internal. The chancel has curious Norman style decoration to the inner arch of the S window. Pevsner considers it C12 but it may be C19. C19 2-bay chancel roof with an arch braced truss. Nave roof with 2 arch-braced trusses and 2 tiers of purlins. This is difficult to date but the principal timbers may be late medieval. The rafters and boarding behind have been renewed and the ridgeboard is secondary. c.1945 polygonal timber pulpit with fielded panels and an inscription commemorating World War II. Font with a plain polygonal bowl on a stem. Nave benches with shouldered ends. Brass of 1640. Panes of Flemish glass in the W window.

A very heavily restored church of C12 origins, preserving some C12 openings, with a Gothick tower of 1835.

SOURCES: Pevsner, Shropshire, 1958, 202.



Listing NGR: SO6256293424

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
254742
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 202

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/06730/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard N. Johns. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].