CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1368037
Date first listed:
30-Aug-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, EASTEND

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368037.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:50:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, EASTEND

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Chadlington
National Grid Reference:
SP 33367 22032

Details

SP32SW CHADLINGTON EASTEND (South side) 7/13 Church of St. Nicholas 27/08/57

GV II*

Church. Late C12 (and possibly earlier), C13 and C15; restored and chancel rebuilt 1870 by Charles Buckeridge. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; sheet-metal and Stonesfield-slate roofs. Chancel, nave, south vestry, north transept, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. C19 steep-roofed chancel in Decorated style has a 3-light east window with reticulated tracery, and two 2-light windows to north, all with carved head stops. Vestry to south has a re-used 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery and a square-headed window facing south. To right of porch, south aisle has two double lancets with trefoil heads and deeply-cut moulding; the westernmost is probably C19; to left of the porch is a plain C13 double lancet. C15 porch has a moulded outer arch and shelters the restored late-C12 south doorway with a round arch of 3 chamfered orders on jambs of a detached shaft flanked by attached shafts, all with moulded capitals. Both aisles have small lancets at the west end. North aisle has 2 tall square-headed 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery within casement mouldings, which flank the contemporary doorway with recessed ornamented spandrels under a label mould. Tall late-C14 transept has a 4-light early-Perpendicular window to east and a 3-light window to north, both with transoms in the tracery. C15 clerestory has square-headed traceried windows of 2 and 3 lights with large carved head stops. Deep C15 parapets to nave, aisles and transept also have carved heads and gargoyles including a fine "green man". 2 lower stages of the unbuttressed tower may be contemporary with the late-C12/early-C13 third stage which has pairs of trefoil-headed openings under crude labels, but they could be earlier; second stage has a round-headed lancet, but 2-light west window is C14. C15 top stage has 2-light traceried bell-chamber openings, and carries a crenellated parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles and gargoyles. Interior: C19 chancel has a double sedilia and piscina to south with cinquefoiled arches. Chancel arch and the low arch leading to the transept are C15, but the remains of a Romanesque window survive above the latter, and the arch incorporates C13 shafts with moulded bases and capitals. 4-bay south arcade and remaining 3 bays of north arcade arm C13, with circular columns, moulded capitals and arches of 2 chamfered orders. Both arcades clasp the tower which has a plain arch of 2 continuous orders. Both aisles have C15 piscinae. C15-style nave roof has traceried kingpost trusses, and rises from carved corbels. Other roofs are plainer and date from C19. Fittings are C19, except for a C17 communion table with baluster legs, and a chest with arcaded front. C19 stained glass in chancel; early-C20 glass in transept. Monuments include a tablet flanked by scrolls and cherub, bearing an armorial cartouche between flaming urns, which commemorates Joseph Rollinson (d.1699), and a marble wall monument by Ricketts of Gloucester to Sir William and Lady Catherine Osbaldeston (d.1740) and 1737) with an urn and serpent against a black obelisk. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp524/5)

Listing NGR: SP3336722032

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253194
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 524-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08688/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Sheppard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].