THE CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1368093
Date first listed:
21-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
THE CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368093.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:32:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Buscot
National Grid Reference:
SU 22659 98142

Details

BUSCOT The Church of St Mary SU29NW 1/1 21/11/66 I GV Parish church. Originally a C13 plan with C15 additions, C18 alterations, restored in 1854. Roughcast and rubble stone with stone dressings, stone tiled roofs with dressed stone copings. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, west tower, S porch, N vestry. Perp. tower of 2 storeys with diagonal buttresses, moulded embattled parapet with weathercock and flat-headed 2- light cusped bell openings with dripstones. W tower door with four-centred arch, carved labels and above, a 3-light traceried window with pointed head. Sundial on S face. 2 recut Perp. traceried pointed windows to S wall of nave, one 2-light plain window in N wall. Small 2-light Perp. window above renewed round-arched porch entrance. Plain Tudor arch with dripstone to S doorway. Plain round and pointed heads to chancel windows. Aisleless interior with high Perp. arch to tower. Chancel arch of 3 orders, outer zig-zag, possibly reset, with 2 Transitional columns and capitals with stiff leaf decoration. Plaster barrel vaults throughout, but a tie beam and crown post visible in chancel. 2 late C15 brasses of husband and wife on S wall of chancel. 2 fine Loveden monuments on chancel N wall. Margaret, 1st wife of Edward Loveden Loveden of Buscot Park, died 1784. Two putti by a grey obelisk. At the foot a relief of Charity. She is giving money to a poor man and bread to a girl. Elizabeth, the 2nd wife, died 1788. In front of an obelisk, reclining on a couch. A baldacchino above her on the right. An angel appearing from the left and holding her hand. Both signed by Robert Cooke, the former dated 1786. Other wall monuments include one to the Rev Robert Reading, died 1791, also by Cooke, Susanna Place, died 1686, and Edward Loveden, died 1713. Exceptional set of stained glass by Morris & Co., all designed by Edward Burne-Jones: 1892 chancel E window, The Good Shepherd; 1897 chancel S wall, Angels of Paradise; 1921 nave N wall, Valour and Fortitude; 1921 nave S wall, Centurion and Christ as Love; 1922 tower W window, Hope, Charity and Faith; 1924 nave S wall, Archangel Gabriel and Mary Virgin. Early C16 English Renaissance polygonal pulpit with reset panels of an early C16 Flemish triptych given by Sir Alexander Henderson in 1908. A. C. Sewter, The Stained Glass of William Morris and his Circle, 1975, 2, 40.

Listing NGR: SU2265598140

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251457
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sewter, A , The Stained Glass of William Morris and his Circle, (1975), 2 40

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00284/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J. Ragon-Chambers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].