Church of St Giles

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1368112
Date first listed:
21-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
Church of St Giles, Great Coxwell

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Giles
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368112.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:28:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Giles, Great Coxwell

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Coxwell
National Grid Reference:
SU 26989 93424

Details

SU 29 SE 4/89

GREAT COXWELL Church of St Giles

21/11/66

GV II* Parish church. Originally a C13 plan, altered and enlarged in the C15 and restored in 1882. Rubble stone and stone dressings, cement render to south wall of nave and tower with gabled stone tiled roofs. Two bay nave, two bay chancel, north porch, west tower.

Perpendicular tower of three storeys with plain string courses, two-light cusped bell openings under flat heads with dripstones, a moulded string to upper storey with gargoyles and an embattled parapet. West window of three cusped lights under a pointed head. South wall of nave has one flat-headed window of three cusped lights, a two-cusped-light window under a pointed head, a similar but smaller two-light window of C19 date and a large flat-headed window of three cusped lights next to another of two lights. Apart from the C19 window these are C14 and C15. The north wall of the nave preserves two Early English lancets. The chancel south wall rebuilt circa 1290 but preserves an Early English lancet and a plainly moulded priest's door alongside a Decorated two-cusped-light window under a pointed head. The chancel north wall has two Early English lancets. East window of three stepped pointed-trefoiled lights under a pointed arch of the late C13. On the west end of the nave is a decayed C13 sanctus bellcote. Gabled, stone tiled, timber-faced porch leads to the north doorway with a plain pointed arch and hoodmould and an early C15 door with large scale tracery with feathered cusping.

Inside, a plainly moulded C15 arch to the tower, deep splays to the windows and a mid C13 chancel arch on half shafts. The chancel has a cusped-headed piscina on the south wall, a trefoil-headed niche behind the altar flanked by two lancet niches and below these, rectangular niches. Open trussed-rafter roofs with semi-circular bracing, both restored C19. Circa 1500 brass to William Morys in nave. 18-inch figure, with three small figures below. He is recorded to have been 'sumtyme fermor of Cokysell'. There are also several late C18 mural tablets. In the east window clear glass panes with engraved shields of 1792 by Eginton. Late C17 communion rail with flat balusters of dumb-bell outline and a Jacobean pulpit with strapwork in the nave behind which are rood stairs.

Listing NGR: SU2698893423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251561
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00887/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J. Ragon-Chambers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].