Church of All Saints

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1368120
Date first listed:
21-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Coleshill

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of All Saints
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368120.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:02:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Coleshill

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Coleshill
National Grid Reference:
SU 23546 93776

Details

SU 2393 6/36

COLESHILL Church of All Saints

21/11/66

GV

II* Parish church. Originally late C12 with alterations and additions circa 1300, mid C14 and mid C15. Restored and further altered in 1715, 1750, 1780-88 and the late C19. Coursed rubble stone to nave, larger squared and dressed stone in uneven courses to the chancel, transept and lower stage of the tower, ashlar for stair turret and top two stages of the tower. Gabled stone tiled roofs with dressed stone copings. Two bay nave, one bay chancel, west tower, south porch, south transept and north aisle.

Perpendicular west tower of three storeys with diagonal buttresses moulded string courses, two-light cusped bell openings with Somerset tracery and dripstones. Gargoyles on string course below moulded embattled parapet with pinnacles. Two storey polygonal stair turret to south east. Perpendicular west window of three lights with cusped heads, dripstone and carved label stops. West door with a four-centred arch set in a flat headed hoodmould with carved label stops and mouchettes in the spandrels. Regency Gothic wooden door with 'y' tracery panels. Decorated south porch of two storeys with a gabled roof, diagonal buttresses with a sundial set into the south west buttress and one- and two-light ogee headed lancets. C19 gable coping and cross finial. The porch entrance is a plain, moulded pointed arch dying into its imposts. Early English south door with a rounded trefoiled head. Good C19 ironwork on plank door. Decorated south transept with south three-light recut original window and one purely C19 cusped lancet. One C19 two-light window to south wall of chancel, a large C18 quatrefoil window to east wall and one C19 lancet and one original Decorated lancet, blocked, to north wall. North aisle has late C19 windows of three lights with curvaceous Perpendicular tracery and a quatrefoiled parapet.

INTERIOR: a tall, plainly moulded arch to west tower under which a vault was planned,- the springers survive but the ringing stage has a timbered floor. The nave has a south arcade of Transitional columns and flat leaved capitals with later double chamfered arches and a north arcade of late C13 character with round abaci and double chamfered arches. C19 gallery above south porch. Double chamfered chancel arch on dying imposts. 1788 east window set within C19 Early English shafts and capitals. Perpendicular roofs throughout with braced tie beams on plain stone corbels supporting rafters. Stained glass in east window inserted in 1788 depicting the Nativity, brought from Angers. Good early C20 stained glass in south transept window.

Fine monument on the south wall of the chancel to Sir Henry Pratt, died 1647 and his wife. White and black marble. Two effigies, she recumbent and below, he semi-reclining, a little above. Repaired in 1831. Also on the south wall of the chancel, a pyramidal marble monument with cherubs and an oval portrait medallion to Viscountess Folkestone who died in 1751 by Michael Rysbrack. On north wall of chancel an alternated Gothic canopy by Coade and Seely of 1812 to Mark Stuart Pleydell. C18 box pews survive in the south transept.

Listing NGR: SU2354693776

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251497
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01388/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Gale. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].