CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1368194
Date first listed:
18-May-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368194.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:20:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Tew
National Grid Reference:
SP 38446 28546

Details

LITTLE TEW SP3828 11/96 Church of St. John the Evangelist GV II Church. 1853 by G.E Street; north aisle and tower 1869 by Charles Buckeridge. Limestone ashlar; artificial stone-slate roofs. Nave, chancel, 2-bay north aisle, north-west tower, and north-east vestry. Early English and Decorated styles. Chancel has shallow buttresses, a 5-light traceried east window and a 2-light traceried window to south. Nave has groups of cusped lancets and, to west, has 3 lancets below a sexfoiled circle. North aisle has paired lancets, and north gable wall of Street's vestry has a shouldered-arched doorway below a 2-light traceried window with 2 triangular-headed lights below a sexfoiled circle. 3-stage tower contains the main doorway, with 2 pairs of shafts and an outer roll moulding, and has a saddle-back roof with large traceried 3-light bell-chamber openings in the gable ends, lancets in the sides, and a band of quatrefoil openings below. Interior: chancel is defined by the change from an arch-braced collar-truss roof to a 7-canted coupled-rafter roof. North arcade has a quatrefoil pier and composite responds. C19 fittings include brass communion rails and a low chancel screen with wrought-iron cresting. Stained glass in east window (c.1872) and 2 south windows (c,1856 and c.1859). (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.257; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.690).

Listing NGR: SP3844628546

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251908
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 690
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 257

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].