CHURCH OF ST BRITIUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1368227
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BRITIUS, CARTERTON ROAD
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BRITIUS, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BRITIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368227.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:12:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BRITIUS, CARTERTON ROAD
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BRITIUS, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Brize Norton
National Grid Reference:
SP 29996 07596

Details

BRIZE NORTON STATION ROAD SP20NE, SP3007 (West side) 5/40, 17/40 Church of St. Britius 12/09/55

GV II*

Church. Late C12; early C13 north aisle and chapel, and late C13 west tower; restored in 1868 by G.E. Street. Walls, mostly replaced by Street, of coursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof. Chancel, nave with north aisle and chapel, and west tower. Geometrical 3-light east window, to south of similar mid C19 window. 4-bay north wall has, from east, a Norman window, early C14 three-light window, early C13 lancet flanked by worn corbel heads, early C13 pointed chamfered doorway with hood and another early C14 three-light window: early C14 3-light west window with reticulated tracery. South side of chancel has plain Norman doorway with chamfered hood flanked by mid C19 three-light C13-style window and plain C14 transomed window in blocked C13 opening (C13 rere-arch). Nave has early C13 lancet and mid C19 lancet window flanking late C12 Transitional south porch with round double-chamfered arch on shafts with moulded capitals. Fine late C12 Norman south door: arch has roll moulding and 3 bands of chevron decoration, the outer one carried on shafts with cushion capitals - one with carving of 2 birds; the tympanum has a symbol of the Tree of Life carved in the centre of a chequer pattern. Mid/late C13 three-stage tower with string courses: has lancets and 2 corbels to left; 2-light belfry openings of plate tracery; corbel table of stars and carved heads has billet decoration also. Nave roof has sanctus bellcote. Interior: C13 cusped rere-arch over south-east window, sill of which is dropped to form sedilia with carved stone arm-rests. On north wall of chancel is part of Norman string course and 2 paired blocked Norman windows under dogtooth-carved hood; early C13 double-chamfered pointed arch to north-east chapel. C13 double-chamfered chancel arch with head corbels. C15 rood screen, with moulded nuntins and traceried heads to open panels, has mid C19 brattished cornice and painted decoration. Nave has painted mid C19 pulpit and lectern; late C12 Norman font with blind arcading and laid/late C19 base; late C13 hollow-chamfered archway to tower; early C13 four-bay north arcade has double-chamfered arches set on heavy round piers with moulded capitals and square bases. Mid C19 roofs and fittings. Monuments: C17 and early C18 ledger stones in chancel. In north-east chapel is shallow arch over stone effigy of knight John Daubyngy, d.1346, in a sunken tomb: carved head and shoulders, and crossed feet, are sunk into tomb with shield and crest set over solid stone "blanket" in middle. This is the only church in England dedicated to St. Britius, a C5 French saint. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.487-8; Bodleian Library, Topographical Drawings, has many C19 views of church including exterior and interior drawings of 1821 by J.C. Buckler (M.S. Top. Oxon; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SP2999607596

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
252112
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 487-8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/15358/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Cotterill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].