CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1368238
Date first listed:
18-May-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368238.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:13:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Worton
National Grid Reference:
SP 43020 29222

Details

WORTON OVER WORTON SP42NW 6/247 Church of the Holy Trinity

GV II

Church. Rebuilt 1844 incorporating some medieval work by J. Derrick for Revd. William Wilson.Marlstone ashlar with some limestone dressings; Westmorland-slate roofs. Chancel, 3-bay nave and south aisle, south porch and north tower. C19 chancel in C13 style has 3 grouped lancets to east, and a single lancet to north and south, all with hood moulds and carved stops. Walling and parapets of south aisle and nave may be medieval but windows are restored: 2-light reticulated at east end of aisle; 2-light geometrical to east and west of porch; a large 3-light window with intersecting tracery at the west end of the nave where the former tower stood. The parapets have some medieval gargoyles at the angles. The south porch has a large shield-shaped sundial and a foliated gable cross. North side of nave has a large C19 window of 3 lights with flowing tracery. Massive 3-stage tower of 1849, in a mixed romanesque and C14 style, has tall traceried openings to the bell chamber. Interior: chancel east window is set within 7 graduated lancets with detached shafts and dog-tooth ornament, the outer lancets containing the Decalogue etc. 6-canted chancel roof has moulded ribs with carved foliage bosses and a carved frieze. Trefoil-headed piscina and sedilia may be C13. Oak chancel fittings have traceried panels and carved poppy heads. C19 encaustic-tile floor. Chancel arch has 2 chamfered orders with contrasting voussoirs and springs from moulded corbels. C19 nave arcade in C13 style has carved head stops. Nave roof trusses have traceried spandrels above braced cambered tie beams. Octagonal C19 font has carved roundels of foliage. Stained glass in chancel by Clutterbruck (1845); at west end of nave by Camm Bros. (c.l878). Elaborate organ case with reticulated tracery. C17 full-length effigy in legal robes retains much colouring and may be Edmund Meese (died 1617) whose memorial tablet is set in the west wall. J.H. Newman, later Cardinal, preached his first sermon in the church. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.300; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.750).

Listing NGR: SP4302029222

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
252063
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 730
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 300

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09064/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dick Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]rg.uk.