CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1368533
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, ABINGDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368533.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:09:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, ABINGDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor
National Grid Reference:
SU 40727 98108

Details

KINGSTON BAGPUIZE WITH SOUTHMOOR ABINGDON ROAD SU4098 (West side) Kingston Bagpuize 11/88 Church of St. John the Baptist 09/02/66

GV II

Church. 1799-1800 by John Fidel of Farringdon: remodelled in 1882 by Edwin Dolby of Abingdon. Coursed and dressed limestone on ashlar plinth, with rusticated quoins; hipped Welsh-slate roof. Nave with apse. 2-bay side walls, including south chapel, have blind rusticated round arches with inner round-arched leaded casements. Pedimented east gable wall has apse with similar surrounds to stained glass window. Pedimented west end has similar round-arched entry: paired Norman-style windows by Dolby surmount Doric entablature with columns framing plain double-leaf doors. Fine bell cupola: oak Doric columns dividing louvred sides, support lead roof with wrought-iron weathervane. Interior: late C19 benches and pulpit. Late C18 and early C19 wall tablets and Latin memorial tablet to George Rainsbee, d.1624. South Chapel has wall tablet to John Blandy, d.1844, and to John Blandy, d.1762, and his wife: latter has marble obelisk with 2 portrait medallions and flanked by putti, standing on entablature; fine monument to Edmund Fettiplace, d.1710, has tasselled canopy over folding drapery with urns, set over inscription tablet with achievement and winged putto at base. Plan and elevations of 1799 show the apse ascribed by Pensner to Dolby. (Bodleian Library, MS Top. Berks. C.57 pls.138, 139; John Betjeman and John Piper (Eds.), Hurray's Architectural Guide, Berkshire, p.131; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.160; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol. IV, p.350; H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, 1978, p.306).

Listing NGR: SU4072798108

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249587
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 306
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 350
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 131

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06341/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Alan Rosevear. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].