Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368856.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 05:29:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 63061 97027


CHALGROVE MILL LANE SU6397 (West side) 9/62 The Manor 18/07/63 (Formerly listed as Manor Farmhouse (S of the Lamb Inn))


Shown on OS map as Manor Farm. Manor house, now house. Early C15, left wing rebuilt c.1500: C16 rear extensions. Large timber framing: tension braced and jettied gable ends of side wings, with close studding to left, and crown post to right. Gabled old tile roof; C16 brick ridge stack and right end stack of stone finished in brick. Hall and flanking wings. 2 storeys; 4-window range of 1:2:1 fenestration. C20 door to right of hall set in largely restored moulded frame (original jamb to left); C20 windows. C16 two-storey rear ranges, of single bay to left and 2 bays to right: of square timber framing with brick infill. Mid C19 rear outshut. Interior: right service wing has moulded quartered beams and open fireplace in front room, and 4-bay arch-braced collar-truss roof above with concave pointed windbraces and stop-chamfered clasped purlins; chamfered door frame within and garderobe shute behind third truss from front. Early C15 hall has finely detailed 5-bay collar-truss roof with arch braces sprung from beneath wall plate. 2 pairs of similar windbraces and moulded butt purlins to each bay; central bay has seating for smoke louvre. Screens passage bordered by timber-framed wall with chamfered door frame to right and early C15 screens to left, which has moulded frame and 5 bays of grooved planks divided by miniature buttresses: early C15 moulded rear doorway with carved spandrels. Late C16 floor and inserted ridge stack: full set of chamfered and stopped beams and joists and open fireplace on ground floor; first floor has late C16 moulded stone fireplace and central timber-framed partition with painted grey studding. Left parlour wing: quartered roll-moulded beams with cusped joists, late C16 moulded beams with cusped joists, late C16 moulded stone fireplace and late C17 painted grained panels in front room similar fireplace and late C16 inserted ceiling above: collar-truss of c.1500 with curved windbraces and chamfered tie beam. Queen-post truss in C16 rear extension. C17 ribbed doors around house. The right wing probably predates the similar hall range: the design of the roof has close links with the Manor House at Ewelme. The first manor house on the site was built for John de Plessis (Earl of Warwick) in 1232-40. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.526-7; Information supplied by Dr. John Blair of Queen's College, Oxford).

Listing NGR: SU6306197027


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 526-7


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10921/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].