130, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1369390
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
130, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369390.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2021 at 00:22:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
130, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51420 06187

Details

HIGH STREET I. 1485 (South Side) No 130 SP 5106 SW 8/344 12.1.54. II GV 2. House and shops. RCHM. 75. C15-C16. The front part of the house is 2-storeyed roughcast timber-framing with 2 gables and cellars; the upper part, set back from the street, is of 3-storeyed timber-framing with 2 gabled attic dormers and a modern tile roof. The building at the back was heightened early in C17. The windows and the back upper part has casement windows. The South side of the front part, on a passage way on the East, was rebuilt in brick (? circa 1929). At the North end of the passage way is an ancient wood doorframe with moulded jambs and 4-centred head. Interior. RCHM page 165b. Includes moulded ceiling beams and a (? reset) C16 fireplace; C16 and circa 1600 panelling and a queen-post roof. History. Owned circa 1600 by Alderman William Boswell, mercer, who died in 1638 and was succeeded by Dr William Boswell DCL. The latter sold in 1689 to Thomas Reeve, tobacco pipe maker, who left it to the City in 1697, for the benefit of poor widows. It was occupied by the Carter family, brush makers and fishmongers from circa 1797 to circa 1920. It was condemned in 1929, but the front was preserved and a new building made at the back; the latter, however, was damaged by fire within a few months.

All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5142006187

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245539
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 165

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06517/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].