CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1369519
Date first listed:
09-Apr-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HORSE FAIR

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369519.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 08:07:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HORSE FAIR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Banbury
National Grid Reference:
SP 45408 40551

Details

BANBURY HORSE FAIR (East side) SP4540NW Church of St. Mary 6/73 09/04/52 GV I

Church. c.1790. By S.P. Cockerell. Tower and portico 1818-1822 by C.R. Cockerell. Internal alterations c.1858-59 for the Revd. William Wilson and c.l863-81 for the Revd. Henry Back. Second stage of alterations carried out by the architect Arthur Blomfield. Ironstone ashlar. Copper and lead roofs. Nave, chancel and west tower. Classical style. West portico of tower: semi-circular Doric portico with columns and half-dome surmounted by a tower of 3 stages and cupola. Portico has wide triglyph frieze. Ground floor of rusticated stone. 3 entrances; main entrance and 2 side entrances. All doorways have 8-panelled doors and cornices on consoles. 2 side windows with semi-circular heads. Central oculus. Nave: rusticated ground floor, ashlar above. 5 square headed windows to ground floor. First floor has 5 semi-circular headed windows with rusticated, keystoned surrounds. Moulded cornice. Chancel: pedimented central bay flanked by vestries which have oculi and panelled doors. Northern oculus blocked. Interior: original plan included 90' square nave with 12 Ionic columns supporting a shallow domed roof; galleries surrounded nave on 4 sides: small rectangular chancel; eastern gallery carried organ. Present arrangement is the result of alterations and remodelling by Blomfield. Chancel: apse formed within existing walls of chancel and surmounted by a half-dome, linked to the arch supporting the nave dome by a barrel vault. Nave as originally planned but with gallery on 3 sides only; the eastern gallery pulled down and the organ placed on the north side of the chancel. Side chapels to north and south; Lady chapel to north. Resurrection chapel to south in memory of those killed in 1939-1945 war. Vestries either side of chancel. Staircase with wreathed handrail, balcony and meeting room above. Side entrances in west end also contain staircases to upper floor. Chancel fittings by Blomfield include: low stone walls of chancel with patterns of inlaid marble surrounding choir; choir stalls; altar rails; chancel pavement (Godwin of Lugwardine); organ case (carved in 1874 by Rattee and Kett); pulpit (carved in 1885 by Rattee and Kett); square white font inlaid with marble (by Alfred Claridge); wrought-iron gates to the choir (1902 by Starkie Gardner). Nave fittings: oak pews as per original plan, probably cut down or renewed late C19. Stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne 1864-1881 to Blomfields design. Rich colour scheme designed by Blomfield and executed by Heaton, Butler and Bayne including imitation mosaic (Pevsner) in the chancel, depicting Christ in majesty, 1876. Redecoration in 1960 caused Blomfields unified colour scheme to be lost. Memorials: in marble to Ann Dolly, daughter of Paynton Piggott, d.1824 aged 21, situated in east wall of nave to left of chancel arch; marble memorial to Francis Piggott, d.1790 situated on east wall of nave to right of chancel arch; wall memorials in porch to right of main entrance; stone wall tablet to Iohn Knight and Ioane his wife (he died 22/11/1587, she died 26/12/1590); marble wall tablet to Margareta Knight; marble wall tablet to William Knight (d.20/9/1631). (Photographs in N.M.R.; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.X, pp.102-4; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, pp.435-9; Cooper, N. The Building and Furnishing of St. Mary's Church, Banbury, 1972, off-printed from Cake and Cock Horse; Proof of evidence submitted by Peter Howell, in the Consistory Court 26/9/84).

Listing NGR: SP4540840553

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
244367
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cooper, N , The Building and Furnishing of St Marys Church Banbury, (1972)
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 435-439
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1972), 102 104

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15275/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].