CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1369591
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, STRATFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369591.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 05:19:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, STRATFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Drayton
National Grid Reference:
SP 42837 41564

Details

DRAYTON STRATFORD ROAD SP 4241 (South side) 11/2 Church of St. Peter 08/12/55 GV II* Small church. Mainly C14. Tower rebuilt 1808. Repairs 1822 and 1826. Restoration 1877-8 by Edwin Dolby of Abingdon including building of south vestry. Ironstone ashlar. Chancel has stone slate roof laid to diminishing courses. Nave and tower have slate roofs. Chancel has red ornamental ridge tiles. Crosses on nave and chancel. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Mostly Decorated style with Perpendicular clerestory. Chancel. 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. 2 north windows of 2-lights including a paired lancet and another with traceried heads. Similar south window. North aisle has simple stone porch with pointed arched doorway and slate roof. Plank door. North aisle windows include paired lancets, a 3-light window with Intersecting tracery and a 3-light window with Curvilinear tracery. Gabled south porch has a pointed arched doorway and plank door. Renewed slate roof. Re-used Romanesque Priest's door on right has round arched head and plank door. South aisle windows include a 3-light Geometrical east window, two 2-light paired lancets with trefoiled heads, pointed arched hoodmoulds with carved headstops and another similar square headed window. clerestory has three 2-light Perpendicular windows. Parapet. C19 west tower of 3 stages. Hipped slate roof. Early English style lancets, one with dog tooth decoration. Bands to 1st and 2nd stages. East elevation of chancel has two exterior wall memorials to the Jackman family dated 1643, 1662 and 1672. Interior. Piscinas in chancel and south aisle. Decorated 3 seat sedilia in south aisle. C19 roofs to chancel and nave. 3-bay nave arcades, with octagonal piers and moulded capitals, that opposite south door has carving with head and interlaced arms. C19 pulpit with inserted C17 panels. Stone chest tomb in vestry. R. Lodowick Grevil of Drayton, 1441. Several C17 memorials to rectors of the Parish. Arched tomb recess in north aisle. Plain tub-shaped font. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p587; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol. IX, p110)

Listing NGR: SP4283741564

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
244558
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 587
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 110

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13082/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Sheppard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].