CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1369717
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369717.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:55:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Oddington
National Grid Reference:
SP 55260 14801

Details

ODDINGTON SP51SE 7/126 Church of St. Andrew 07/12/66 GV II* Church, C13, C14/C15, restored and altered 1889 by E.G. Brutons Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof. Chancel, nave, north aisle, north chapel, south porch and west tower. Chancel is mostly C14/C15 and has a square headed 2-light C15 window with Perpendicular tracery in the south wall, taken from the north wall to replace a similar window of which the tracery survives inside the church; 3-light Perpendicular-style east window is C19. Chapel, to north, is C19 but is on earlier foundations. Grouped lancets in the nave and the north aisle are C19 but parts of the walls are medieval; western lancet of aisle is C13. Porch is partly medieval and has an outer arch with continuous mouldings, and shelters a C13 doorway with a roll-moulded arch and a pair of detached shafts. 2-stage C13 tower has a cusped-lancet west window and, at bell-chamber stage, paired lancet openings below arched hood moulds; tiled pyramidal roof. Interior: chancel has a small C14 cusped piscina and an aumbry. Chancel arch, chapel arch and most of the 3-bay nave arcade are C19, but the westernmost arch and parts of its respond and pier contain stones, discovered during alterations, bearing traces of medieval painting. The small arch from the north aisle to the north chapel is medieval. Simple unchamfered C13 tower arch. Chancel and nave have C19 crown post roofs. Fittings include a communion table of 1637, some C16/C17 bench pews plus C19 copies, a panelled oak pulpit dated 1617, and a C17 oak chest. A brass of c.1500 shows Ralph Hamsterley, Rector 1499-1508, in a worm-infested shroud. The plain tub font retains a medieval staple and has a fine Arts and Crafts cover of 1920. An ancient pole ladder stands below the tower. During the incumbency of Dr. S.H. Scott (1915-49) the church was equipped with Flemish brass chandeliers and numerous copies of Italian paintings, plus many other fine furnishings and some stained glass. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.284; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.730; Oxoniensia, Vol.40, pp.328-9; "0ddington Church" (guidebook), 1977).

Listing NGR: SP5526014801

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
243368
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Oddington Church guidebook, (1977)
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 730
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 284
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 40, (), 328-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07849/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].