CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1369750
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369750.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 00:58:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Merton
National Grid Reference:
SP 57737 17816

Details

MERTON SP5717 10/99 Church of St. Swithun 07/12/66 GV I Church. C13 and C14, restored 1865-72 by C. Buckeridge. Limestone rubble, partly rendered, with ashlar dressings; lead and Welsh-slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south aisle, west tower and south porch. Rendered chancel has a large 3-light east window, originally C14 but altered to have a 4-centred arch with Perpendicular tracery; to south are 3 tall 2-light windows, with transoms and Perpendicular tracery, plus a priest's door. Wide C14 south aisle, with a moulded parapet, has a fine 3-light east window with flowing tracery and, to south, 2 early C14 windows of 2 lights below quatrefoils and a 3-light Perpendicular window with a shallow triangular arch; the C14 porch has an outer arch with continuous moulding, and shelters a more elaborately moulded south door below a C15 panel containing 3 image niches (identical to one in the same position at Charlton-on-Otmoor). The north side of the nave has 2-light C14 windows, re-set following the demolition of the north aisle. The C13 tower of 3 stages with a C15 panelled parapet has stepped clasping buttresses to the bottom stage, lancets, and 2-light bell-chamber openings with Y-tracery. Interior: chancel has, to south, a fine C14 triple-sedilia and piscina with cusped ogee canopies and crocketted pinnacles, plus a matching canopied recess to north; to south also an ogee-headed tomb recess with pierced cusping. The elaborate carved roof corbels are also C14 and match those on the chancel arch. 4-bay early C14 nave arcade has octagonal piers and round capitals with arches of 2 chamfered orders and head stops; a similar 3-bay arcade is now built into the north wall. The C13 tower arch is of 2 unchamfered orders. The south aisle contains a C14 sedile and piscina, elaborate image niches flanking the east window with double-cusped canopies, and a canopied holy water stoup by the south door. 5-bay C15 nave roof has curved braces with traceried spandrels, short posts from the tie-beam to moulded purlins, and has one carved boss below each tie-beam. Fittings include C17 bench pews, 2 C16/C17 communion tables, a C17 pedestal pulpit with carved arched panels, and a fine set of C17 stalls with elaborate poppyheads, brought from Exeter College Chapel and now in the south aisle. Mahogany tower screen is from the priory Church of St. John, Clerkenwell. C12 tub font with C17 cover. Monuments include a large marble wall monument to John Doyley (died 1593) with kneeling figures in a Renaissance arched recess, and a painted monument with Tuscan columns, obelisk finials and mutilated strapwork cresting to Elizabeth Poole (died 1621). Also in the chancel are various C17 and C18 memorials, mostly ledgers, to members of the Harrington family, and, in the tower, several small late C17 and early C18 wall monuments to members of the Vaughan family. V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, pp.231-3; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.700-1).

Listing NGR: SP5773617819

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
243341
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 700-1
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 231-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/08776/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nicholas Paul. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].