CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1369849
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369849.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:08:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Duns Tew
National Grid Reference:
SP 45712 28470

Details

SP4528 DUNS TEW 9/245 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 08/12/55

GV II Church. C12 and C14/C15, restored c.1665 and largely rebuilt c.1861 by Sir G.G. Scott for Sir Henry Dashwood. Coursed squared marlstone and limestone with some banding and with limestone- and marlstone-ashlar dressings; Stonesfieid-slate roof. Chancel, nave, north-east vestry, north aisle, south porch and west tower. C19 chancel, in marlstone with limestone banding and dressings, has to south two 2-light traceried windows in Decorated style plus a round-headed priest's door, but to east has a re-used 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery, and to north a C13 lancet. North aisle and vestry also incorporate earlier windows: the vestry a 2-light C14 window with ogee tracery, and the aisle a similar window plus a large square-headed 3-light C15 window with a label mould; to west is a large C19 traceried window. South wall of nave and the porch are earlier, although probably partly C17; to right of the porch is a 3-light C14 window and to left a 2-light square-headed window with arched lights and a label (probably C17). Porch has a C19 arch of 2 chamfered orders but shelters a small late C12 door with a moulded arch; the gable parapet and foliated cross are C19, as on the other gables. An inscription in the porch gable states "Tower and Porch/Rebuilt Anno 1665/The Church/Restored A.D.1861". Banded 3-stage tower, with stepped diagonal buttresses and a plain parapet, incorporates a C14 west door with continuous wave mouldings but the square-headed windows with arched lights and recessed spandrels are C17. One of the crocketed pinnacles is inscribed "This/bee/built/166(?)". Interior: walls are all in Cl9 banded stonework, and the arch to the vestry and the chancel arch are also C19, the latter with moulded corbels rising from carved heads. 3-bay nave arcade is late C14 and has octagonal columns and arches of 2 chamfered orders springing from richly-moulded quatrefoil capitals with carved heads, matched by corbelled responds. Tower arch of 3 chamfered orders is probably partly medieval but has renewed impost blocks. Roofs are all C19. Fittings include an elaborate painted and gilded screen forming a sacristy behind the sanctuary, which is probably c.1900 and not by Scott. C12 tub font has chevron and arcaded decoration. A fragment of medieval sculpture and a canopy have been re-set to left of the chancel arch. C19 stained glass in east window. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p590; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p220)

Listing NGR: SP4571228470

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
243972
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 590
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 220

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12512/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].