CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1369852
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369852.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 08:01:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Tadmarton
National Grid Reference:
SP 39238 37856

Details

TADMARTON MAIN STREET SP33NE (South side) 2/101 Church of Saint Nicholas 08/12/55 GV I Church. C12. C13 alterations and extension: Early English chancel arch; chancel rebuilt; nave aisle rebuilt; 4th bay to nave arcade; tower. Transitional chancel windows. C15 clerestory. North porch 1850. Restoration 1893. Coursed regular ironstone rubble with lead roof. Chancel, nave, north aisle, west tower, north porch. Chancel windows: Late Decorated/Perpendicular east and south windows; Early English lancet inserted in splay of Romanesque south window. Nave has blocked 2- centred doorway with hoodmould; Two 3- light Perpendicular windows on ground floor and three 2-light windows to clerestory. North aisle has two 2-light windows with intersecting tracery in north wall and single 3-light similar window in east wall. West tower of 3 stages: single lancets to first stage and 2-light Perpendicular windows to belfry; 2-centred west doorway with hoodmould and stops; diagonal buttresses on north-west. North doorway has two orders of roll moulding, fragmentary dogtooth decoration and capitals with embyro stiff leaf decoration. Interior: North wall of chancel has 2 blocked Romanesque arches. Early English chancel arch has head of Romanesque arch above on north side. Internal jambs of low side window on south side. Early English piscina in south wall of nave has trefoiled head. Doorway to rood loft behind pulpit. North arcade of c.1170 has 3 round unchamfered arches and piers with square bases and scalloped capitals. Fittings: C14 font has square bowl on octagonal base and row of grotesque heads. C15 bench ends in nave carved with blind tracery and quatrefoils; others date from c.1893. One bench made up from a C15 rood screen is carved with rosettes and cusped arches. Stained glass in south chancel window by Mowbray or Oxford c.1915. Monuments to: Mrs Mary Whately wife of the Rector, dated 1657 on north wall of chancel; Anne Deane dated 1774 on south wall of nave. Crenellated parapet to west tower and stone finials to north aisle. History: Restoration of 1893 by Milne and Hall of London; the builder J.S. Kimberley of Banbury. (Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, pp. 803-804; V.C.H. : Pxfordshire, Vol IX, pp.157-158).

Listing NGR: SP3923437856

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
244112
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 803-804
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 157-158

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10888/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].