CHURCH OF ST DENYS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1370062
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CLIPSTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST DENYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370062.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:39:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CLIPSTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Kelmarsh
National Grid Reference:
SP 73522 79220

Details

KELMARSH CLIPSTON ROAD SP77NW (South side) 6/60 Church of St. Denys 02/11/54

GV II*

Church. C14, with C19 work, by J.K. Colling. Regular coursed lias and limestone wth lead and stone slated roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle and west tower. Nave and chancel: south elevation of 6-window range, 4 to left of 2 lights with pointed heads and 2 to right of 2 lights with square heads, all restored C19. Pitched roof with coursed corbels. North elevation of chancel of one bay projection beyond north aisle. C19 three-light east window. North aisle, 4-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred heads; that to left has transom with cusps. East window of north aisle of 3-lights with Carolean tracery of lozenges and circles. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet, that to far left has Jacobean decoration with obelisk at the corner, reputed to be of 1638. Gabled porch between windows one and 2 from right. West tower, Perpendicular of 4 stages with clasping buttresses and 2-light bell chamber openings to each face of fourth stage. Ashlar broach spire with 2 stages of lucarnes. Iron railings attached to east of the chancel Interior: Chancel, c.1874 by J.K. Colling in High Victorian style with blind arcading to walls having panels of marble allegedly taken from buildings of ancient Rome. Marble floor, mosaic wall decoration by Powells, designed by Wooldridge. Nave has C19 four bay arcade of pointed arches with circular pink marble piers. C19 roofs, that in nave has large angel corbels. Stained glass: East window by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake, 2 windows at south west end of nave by William Pepper, bellfry window also has stained glass. (Frontal and alter ring by Morris and Co.). Screen in west tower arch mid C20 incorporating late C16 and early C17 panels of Netherlandish and German origin depicting the storey of Esther. Monuments: Brass to Mary Osborne died 1534, headless. In north chapel, now vestry, Sir John Hanbury died 1639; two kneeling figures facing across a prayer desk, drapery above with open pediment over. To left William Hanbury died 1768, large inscribed marble panel with strigillated sarcophagus above. To left William Hanbury died 1807 by chantry, Grecian altar with drapery and 2 interlocked wreaths. Font: High Victorian style. Also known as Church of St. Dionysius. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.270).

Listing NGR: SP7352279220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360313
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 270

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12911/37
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].