WORKSOP COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1370073
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1985
Statutory Address:
WORKSOP COLLEGE, NETHERTON ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370073.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 08:52:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
WORKSOP COLLEGE, NETHERTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 59852 77194

Details

SK 57 NE WORKSOP NETHERTON ROAD (East side)

3/92 Worksop College

II

School buildings with hall, ante-hall, west wing and part of north wing. 1895. By R. H. Carpenter for Canon Woodard. Headmaster's house, 1897, with addition c.1925; chapel 1909 by Aston Webb; north, south and east wings 1907, 1928, 1931, 1934 by B. D. Thompson. Brick with plain tile roofs and ashlar dressings, Tudor Revival style. Quadrangle plan with projecting wings. Hall has chamfered plinth, gabled buttresses, sill and eaves bands, crenellated parapet with traceried panels, crow- stepped east and west gables. Single storey, 7 bays. West front has 4 paired ogee headed mullioned and transomed casements, and 3 similar but larger casements in intermediate bays, which have crow-stepped gables with traceried panels, pilasters and ball finials. West gable has, above, traceried panels flanked by pilasters with ball finials. Panelled interior. Massive hammer beam roof with large octagonal iron lanterns suspended from pendants of hammer beams. Fittings include tables, benches and chairs by Thompson of Kilburn. West wing has 3 decorative bands, dentillated eaves, 3 roof and single ridge stacks, 3 storeys plus attics, 16 bays, with projecting crow-stepped gabled bay to left. To its left, 2 superimposed stair windows; 13 mullioned and transomed casements on each of three floors; above 7 crow- stepped gabled dormers, and above again, single flat roofed and gabled dormers. Headmaster's house, 3 storeys, 4 unequal bays, L-plan, has balanced facade with major projecting crow-stepped cabled bay and porch. Irregular fenestration with mullioned and transomed casements. South wing has decorative bands, crow- stepped gables, 3 ridge stacks, 3 storeys plus attics, 23 bays. Symmetrical composition with projecting central bay with porch and single flanking gabled wings. Central bay has moulded four- centred arched doorway with shouldered hood mould containing Arms. School chapel, Gothic Revival Free Style, has ante- chapel, nave and chancel under continuous roof, and flanking towers to north and south of east end. Moulded plinth and sill bands, plain decorative bands, moulded ashlar eaves. Single bay ante-chapel has segmental headed doorway with gabled flanking buttresses, in splayed recess containing 2 leaf door with traceried over light; massive lintel with segmental arch with relief panels and Arms. Above, single lancet and coped gable. Buttressed nave, 6 bays, has projecting bay with coped gable to east. 6 double lancets with Y tracery on each side, Coped west gable has shouldered bell turret. Single bay chancel has at east end a foundation stone with monogram, inscribed 'AMDG July XXIX MDCCCCIX MRM'. Towers, 3 stages, square plan with octagonal third stage; moulded ashlar plinth, lintel band, broaches, machiolation and coping, topped by 2 stage octagonal timber bell turret with traceried openings and domed octagonal cap with finial. Ante-chapel has 5 bay blind arcade with transverse doorways in third bay from south. Groined vault. North window has stained glass by Wailes. Panelled interior has decorative brick bands and moulded sill band from which spring responds. Tierceron vault with moulded and decorated ribs, stencilled patterns and texts. West end has organ gallery with parapet. Chancel arch has cove and roll moulding with shaft responds on octagonal bases. Chancel north side has segmental headed aumbry. South side has double sedilia. Ashlar vault with chamfered ribs. East window stained glass by Wailes, 1913. Fittings include moulded and panelled oak stalls, 2 with tracery and 2 with canopies. Plain timber lectern. East wing one and a half storeys, 11 bays, has central 2 storey gatehouse with 2 stage octagonal bell turret with tent roof and tall finial with weather vane. Flanked each side by 5 casements, and above, one hipped and 2 crenellated dormers each side. North (Portland) wing, 2 storeys plus attics, 12 bays, T-plan, has to right balustraded octagonal stair turret to south, and to its right, single projecting crow-stepped gabled bay on each side. 11 casements on each floor, and above, 3 crow-stepped dormers. Crow-stepped east gable has recessed panel with flanking pilasters, containing 2 storey canted bay window with band of shields and crenellated parapet, and 7 casements on each floor.

Listing NGR: SK5985277194

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
241301
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08438/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].