Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370119.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:10:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bassetlaw (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 67533 73399



4/10 Church of Our Lady and St. Peter (formerly 1.2.67 listed as Church of St Peter and St Mary) GV II Parish church. C14, rebuilt 1845 by the Duke of Newcastle with stone from Worksop Manor. Ashlar. Tile roofs. Embattled parapets, the east ends of the nave, chancel and vestry are raised and coped and have kneelers. The chancel has a single ridge finial and the nave a finial of 2 diagonally set shafts topped with open cusped tracery. Buttressed, set on a chamfered plinth with a red brick base in parts. Tower with north east stair turret, nave, north aisle, north vestry and chancel. Angle buttressed tower of 3 stages with bands. 3 remaining crocketed pinnacles of 4, 8 gargoyles. In the west wall is a single arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery hood mould and human head label stops. On the north side, between the buttress and stair turret is a tiled lean-to containing a moulded arched doorway with hood mould and decorative label stops. In the south wall is a moulded arched doorway with hood mould and C14 human head label stops. The 4 arched bell chamber openings each have 2 arched lights and a hood mould. There are single rectangular openings to the south and west with hood moulds and decorative label stops and single colock faces to the south, west and north. The stair turret of 3 stages with bands and 4 small gargoyles has 2 rectangular lights, at the third stage is a small rectangular window with 2 arched lights and trefoil under a flat arch. The north aisle with single finials at the angles of the parapet and 2 gargoyles has 3 windows each with a single arched and cusped light under a flat arch. The vestry has in the north wall a single pointed arched and cusped light with hood mould and foliate label stops, to the left is a chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. The east wall has a single pointed arched and cusped light with hood mould and foliate label stops. The east chancel with single crocketed pinnacles at the angles has 2 gargoyles and a single arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and foliate label stops. The south chancel has 2 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, cambered arch, hood mould and foliate label stops. The nave has 3 arched windows each with 3 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and human head label stops. Interior. 3 bay C14 nave arcade with octagonal columns, keeled responds, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The tower and chancel double chamfered arches are both supported on octagonal responds and moulded capitals. There is an arched north doorway in the tower and an arched doorway leading to the vestry. To the left-of the south west doorway is an arched stoup. The furniture is C19 and C20 apart from the C14 octagonal font which has panels decorated with blind tracery and a castellated traceried band running around the top. In the chancel are 2 C14 floor slabs decorated with single stylised crosses, also a mid C14 brass either a demi-effigy or the top half of a lady. There is a monument in the north aisle to Elizabeth Mason, 1796. That to John Mason, 1802, has single pilasters with paterae flanking the inscription and supporting an architrave. There is a board detailing the donation of Mr. Joseph Holliday, 1826. The timbers of the chancel, nave and aisle roofs are supported on decorative corbels. The quadripartite vaulted tower has decorative corbels and a single boss.

Listing NGR: SK6753373399


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08458/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].