Pele House

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1370670
Date first listed:
30-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
Pele House, Cambo, Morpeth, NE61 4BA

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370670.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 21:33:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
Pele House, Cambo, Morpeth, NE61 4BA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wallington Demesne
National Grid Reference:
NZ 02656 85668

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/08/2019

NZ 0285 18/179

WALLINGTON DEMESNE CAMBO Pele House

(Formerly listed as Post Office)

GV II House of bastle character, C16, converted into shop 1818, minor alterations c.1880. Heavy rubble with large quoins, tooled dressings; stone slate roof.

Three storeys, two wide bays. Central double doors; shop front at left has central twelve-pane sash between four-pane sashes, lintel inscribed J.T. (John Trevelyan) 1818; twelve-pane sash at right. First floor: late C19 sash in left bay with remains of original door to right; renewed twelve-pane sash in right bay; small four-pane casements on second floor. Gables with moulded kneelers and overlapped slab coping, stepped and corniced end stacks. Left return has small window, blocked square window in chamfered surround above and sixteen-pane sash to second floor.

Rear wing in two sections; mid C18 three storey part (heightened in 1818) has Yorkshire sash set in blocked doorway with chamfered surround, inserted C19 sash above, similar gable. Two storey part (heightened c.1880) has Yorkshire sashes and similar gable carrying small stepped and corniced stack. Single storey range to left not of interest.

Interior altered, walls c.1.3 metres thick. The building, although apparently a bastle rather than a tower, appears to have been three storeyed from the first.

Listing NGR: NZ0265685668

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238427
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09472/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Hunter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].