CHEESEBURN GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1370742
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
CHEESEBURN GRANGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHEESEBURN GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370742.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 18:02:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHEESEBURN GRANGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stamfordham
National Grid Reference:
NZ 09385 71230

Details

STAMFORDHAM CHEESEBURN GRANGE NZ 07 SE

15/361 Cheeseburn Grange 27.8.52

GV ll*

Country house. 1813 by John Dobson for Mr. Riddel. Older core. Large additions on east side by J.A. Hanson c.1860 were demolished c.1973 under supervision of P. Elphick. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. Tudor-Gothic style. 2 storeys plus attics, 5 x 3 bay front block with 2 lower projecting wings to rear.

3-bay entrance side has taller castellated centre bay. Moulded plinth. Castellated porch with Tudor-arched doorway. Above is a tall 5-light window with 2 transoms, pointed-arched heads to lights, and hoodmould. Centre bay flanked by buttresses which rise to form corniced turrets above central tower. Flanking bays have tripartite windows under hoodmoulds. Addition to left of one tall storey, one bay, has 3-light mullioned-and-transomed chapel window with arched heads to lights. Tall parapet with 4-light pierced panels of Gothic tracery above each bay. Hipped roof with octagonal ridge stacks of 5 conjoined shafts with castellated tops.

Right return: 5 bays with tripartite windows in Tudor-arched recesses with floating cornices. Boldly moulded top cornice. Similar parapet.

Interior: Open-well stair, the lower parts, possibly by Hanson, have twist balusters and beasts on the newels; the upper part Dobson with little Gothick pointed arches. Chapel by Dobson has panelled ceiling on 5 moulded Tudor arches with decorative corbels; open-work Gothic reredos. Library has built-in Gothic book shelves.

In the cellar, walling 8 ft. thick; also an early C17 doorway with multi-moulded surround. Shallow, segmental iron-vaulted ceiling.

Listing NGR: NZ0938571230

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238848
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].