Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370817 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:32:23.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Bardon Mill
National Grid Reference:
NY 78964 63963



8/8 Church of St. Cuthbert 24.11.67


Parish church, late C15, extended C17, restored 1884. Squared stone and rubble, slate roof. Single cell, externally of 6 bays; western 3 bays thought to be C17 addition. 1884 north vestry on site of medieval sacristy or chapel. South wall has chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses and thin stepped buttresses between bays, windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights under elliptical arches with hollow- chamfered hoodmoulds. Window sills set higher in 2nd and 5th bays with doorways beneath;western door has elliptical arch in square frame, largely C19; blocked eastern door, 4-centred head in square frame, head inscribed '16 91' 6(7?), spandrels inscribed 'W IA BAL'. West end rubble, similar 3-light window, squared stone corbelled-out bellcote with elliptical-arched openings. East end squared stone, diagonal buttresses, window of 5 cinquefoil-headed lights, with panel tracery over, under elliptical arch and hoodmould. Cl9 gable with cross finial. North wall rubble, 1 central stepped buttress with 3-light window to left. Vestry has possibly C16 window, re-set in east wall, with triangular head and raised ball in apex of chamfered surround, old iron bars and diamond glazing. Other openings Cl9.

Interior: large corbels flanking east window, left with sunk star ornament, right with chevron, may be either re-used C12 or later vernacular work. Relief carvings on inner splays of 3 eastern windows in south, of rabbit, flowers, fleur de lys, grotesque mask etc. On north of sanctuary old rectangular squint with iron bars. Font, simple circular basin and shaft, perhaps late medieval. C12 cross slab set in recess of blocked doorway on south. Roof timbers and furnishings all of 1884. East window glass by Kempe, 1891.

Listing NGR: NY7896563963


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15651/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Spence. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].