FOWBERRY TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1370883
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
FOWBERRY TOWER

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOWBERRY TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370883.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 21:37:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
FOWBERRY TOWER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chatton
National Grid Reference:
NU 03939 29340

Details

NU 02 NW CHATTON FOWBERRY

4/21 Fowberry Tower 21/9/51

11*

Country house. Originally built as tower-house in C15, remodeled in 1666 but now almost all of after 176 and around 1800 (datestone 1809). 1776 work built perhaps by Nisbit of Kelso for Mr. Blake. Later work for Matthew Culley. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Oblong, double pile. Gothick style. 2 storeys and basement on north side, 3 storeys and basement on enrance front. One-storey, one-bay wings. C20 kitchen extension to left. North front: 3 bays. steeply-pointed triple windows with intersecting glazing bars. Basement windows are tripartite and segment-headed under shallow segmental arches. Above basement curved corbels support a broad band like a parapet with inset quatrefoils bneath ground floor windows. Similar corbels and quatrefoils to top parapet and above one-storey wings. Later entrance front: 7 bays, 1-2-1-2-1, slightly projecting centre and end bays. Ground floor windows Tudor-arched with intersection glazing bars. Plain 12-pane sashes above. In centre 5 bays on ground and 1st floors, windows and door are recessed with double hollow-chamfered surrounds. Central pediment with datestone 1809. Bands between each floor. Interior: Gothick decoration, especially in the dining room which has a screen of two crocketed ogee arches on slim quatrefoil shafts, crocketed ogee heads to doors and Gothick fireplace. Similar decoration to drawing room. Simple C19 staircase but with fan-vaulted ceiling. Complex vaulting in basement; C18 vaults supporting new north front, groin vaults behind - some in stone, some brick. Also some older tunnel vaulting.

Early C19 wrought iron area railings to entrance. Matthew Culley was the 1st secretary to the Board of Agriculature.

Northumberland County History Vol. X1V Archeologia Aelian 4th Series XXX.

Listing NGR: NU0393929340

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237488
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Northumberland, (1940)
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana - Fourth Series, , Vol. 30, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].