CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371047 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 20:50:03.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- NZ 09028 86013
NZ 08 NE
9/2 Church of St. Andrew
Parish Church. Pre-Conquest core with tower and chancel rebuilt c.1200, aisles
added and chancel extended in early C13, minor later medieval alterations,
restoration 1843 and 1890. Squared stone with dressings; slate roofs except
for stone slates to south porch and boiler house. 4-bay aisled nave with west
tower and south porch, chancel,
Tower in 3 stages has moulded plinth and strings; stepped set-back buttresses. C15 3-light west window with pierced panel tracery; wide lancets to 2nd stage, blocked except on south; paired lancet belfry openings with octagonal column mullions. Parapet on stepped corbels.
West aisle lancets, northern partly hidden by C19 boiler house. South aisle wall 5 bays, north 4 bays; C19 paired lancets. Porch has C19 pointed arch set in larger round-headed double-chamfered openings; C18 panelled double doors. Coped gable with C18 tilted sundial as finial, small rectangular windows in returns, stone benches. Doorway has keeled and chamfered pointed arch, with colonnettes, bold dog tooth on hoodmould, jambs and external angles of door projection. Clerestory on south only; 3 low 2-light mullioned windows. East aisles lancets, to south of southern 1757 headstone affixed to wall. Massive eastern angle quoins of Pre-conquest nave exposed, on south tooled to resemble coursed masonry.
Chancel 3 bays. Lancets on south and low-side lancet at west end, with traces of blocked door to right and old studded priest's door under shouldered arch. East end has triplet of lancets. Stepped buttress bay divisions throughout.
Interior: Small doorway under round-headed window set in blocked round tower arch, itself an insertion; remains of earlier arched doorway above. Lower stage of tower barrel-vaulted with newel stair at north-west angle. Pointed double-chamfered nave arcades on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases; central pier on south has beaded abacus. South aisle east lancet has elaborate shouldered rear arch. Trefoiled piscina in south aisle and smaller piscina cut in east respond of north arcade.
Pointed chancel arch of 2 orders. Enriched trefoiled piscina, triple sedilia and second smaller trefoiled piscina. Eastern lancets have tall ringed jamb shafts and moulded rear arches.
C13 font: circular bowl on pillar with 3 smaller shafts. Memorials: Frosterley marble slab in chancel with Lombardic inscription to Sir Thomas de Errington, c.1310: C17 and C18 ledger stones; Monument to Mary Ann Bradford, d.1830, reclining figure by F. Chantrey; other C19 memorial slabs. Carved reredos and pulpit of Caen stone, 1890. Flags from Napoleonic War hang in chancel. Medieval stone coffins and Jacobean almsbox in south aisle. 2 medieval bells. Over nave arcades several re-used voussoirs with incised saltire crosses similar to those of C8 west doorway at Corbridge.
Listing NGR: NZ0902186015
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 8 February 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 8 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33920
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing