CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1371303
Date first listed:
03-May-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371303.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:36:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Quinton
National Grid Reference:
SP 77676 54330

Details

QUINTON SP7754 19/162 Church of St. John the Baptist 03/05/68

GV II*

Church. C13 and C15 with late Norman origins. Porch and chancel of 1801. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and west tower. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone, with ironstone dressings, limestone ashlar to chancel and porch; lead, slate and plain-tile roofs. 2-bay chancel. First bay is windowless and wider than east end, which has rounded corners and similar flattened curve to heads of windows. These have key blocks and leaded crown glass panes to south and north chancel windows. East window has keyblock inscribed DEO. Ironstone plinth, hollow-chamfered cornice, plain stone-coped parapet and hipped slate roof. Roof-line of original chancel roof with steep pitch on east gable wall of nave. Nave has Perpendicular clerestory of 3 windows to south and 2 windows to north, all of 2-lights, with 4-centred heads, trefoil-headed lights and hood moulds; plain stone-coped parapets. Roof-line and blocked arch to north-east of former transeptal chapel. Arch blocked by wide offset buttress. Blocked, moulded trefoil-headed piscina to east side of arch and blocked entry above to gallery of former rood screen. Chamfered north doorway with studded plank door. South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular windows, all with 4-centred heads and hood moulds and plain stone-coped parapet. Hollow-chamfered south doorway with studded plank door. Porch has wider, shallow inner bay and entrance bay with rounded corners and stepped and hollow-chamfered doorway. Stone above doorway inscribed POPULO. Stone-coped parapet and pyramidal slate Roof with small ball finial. 3-stage tower has 2-light C13 bell-chamber windows with blank quatrefoils to heads and hood moulds and 2-light Perpendicular bell-chamber openings above with 4-centred heads and hood moulds. Low off-set angle buttresses, battlemented parapet and pyramidal slate roof with weather-vane to apex. Interior: double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Nave has 3-bay arcade with circular piers, keeled responds, moulded bases and capitals and double-chamfered arches. Aisle has cinquefoil-headed piscina. Double-chamfered tower arch dying into walls. Small lancet window above, now internal, with deep splay. Plaster ceilings to nave and chancel. Chamfered cambered tie-beams to aisle roof. C18 baluster font. Polygonal pulpit of c.1800 with inlay panels, Chancel and porch were rebuilt during the incumbency of Edward Bayley, who rebuilt the Rectory (q.v. Old Rectory) at the same time. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp380-381; VCH: Northamptonshire: 1937, Vol IV, p283).

Listing NGR: SP7767654330

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235562
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 380-1
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937), 283

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06535/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].