WHITTINGHAM TOWER AND ATTACHED COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1371450
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1953
Statutory Address:
WHITTINGHAM TOWER AND ATTACHED COTTAGE, ROAD TO CALLALY

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITTINGHAM TOWER AND ATTACHED COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371450.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 09:02:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITTINGHAM TOWER AND ATTACHED COTTAGE, ROAD TO CALLALY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whittingham
National Grid Reference:
NU 06924 11884

Details

WHITTINGHAM ROAD TO CALLALY NU 0611-0711 (North side, off) Whittingham Village 25/123 Whittingham Tower 21.10.53 and attached cottage

GV II*

Towerhouse, which became ruinous and was converted into almshouses. Late C13 or early C14,, remodelled 1845 by Countess Ravensworth; cottage C18 or early C19.

Squared medieval masonry below, apparently of 2 periods with more massive earlier work in the lower courses and possibly C16 masonry above. Ashlar in C19 sections.

On south, west and north sides medieval masonry reaches to 2nd floor sill level, on east side to 1st floor window only.

3 storeys. Square.

Ground floor doorway on south side has medieval jambs and C17 round-headed top with continuous chamfer.

On east side, 4 steps with iron railings up to Tudor-headed door of 1845 with inscription over. By the munificense of Piety of LADY RAVENSWORTH This ancient Tower which was formerly Used by the village as a place of refuge In time of rapine and insecurity Was repaired and otherwise embellished For the use and benefit of the deserving Poor. AD 1845

Windows, all of 1845, are 1- and 2-light diamond-paned casements in chamfered surrounds. '

C19 battlemented parapet, projecting on close-set rounded corbels. Higher turret in north-east corner.

Interior has walls 8% ft, thick. Tunnel-vaulted ground floor.

Attached, altered cottage with stone-slate roof on west side. Birthplace, in 1745, of Henry Ogle, inventor of the threshing machine.

Northumberland County History: Vol. XIV.

Listing NGR: NU0692411884

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236208
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dodds Hope, M, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Alnham Chatton Chillingham Eglingham Ilderton Ingram and Whittingham The Chapelries of Lowick and Doddington, , Vol. 14, (1935)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09471/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Ballan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].