CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1371489
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371489.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:33:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Marston St. Lawrence
National Grid Reference:
SP 53622 42075

Details

MARSTON ST. LAWRENCE HIGH STREET SP54SW (East side) 7/143 Church of St. Lawrence 04/02/69

- I

Parish church. C13 and C14 with Perpendicular additions. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone. Chancel, nave and aisles, north porch, west tower. East chancel window is Perpendicular of 4 lights. North and south chancel windows, also Perpendicular, have 2 lights with transoms. All south aisle windows are late Perpendicular of 2- and 3- arched uncusped lights with square heads. North porch Victorian. North doorway Decorated, with continuous mouldings. North aisle has 2- and 3-light Decorated windows with flowing tracery and hoods with head stops. Clerestory, Perpendicular, has windows with 2 cusped ogee lights and square heads. Perpendicular west tower of 3 stages with castellated parapet. Interior: Chancel has C14 sedilia with 3 seats under a crocketed ogee canopies. Piscina of same date. Easter sepulchre with ogee arched recess. Flanking altar are 2 canopied niches with crocketed pinnacles. Stairs to former rood-loft between chancel and south aisle. South arcade C13 of four bays with round piers and moulded capitals and double hollow-chamfered arches. North arcade, Decorated, of 4 bays with 2 continuous chamfered orders. Nave roof C14-C15 with tracery in spandrels. South aisle roof late Perpendicular with rosette bosses. Font C14-C15 octagonal with blind tracery. Screen in tower arch dated 1610, partly made up from a reredos with panels inscribed with Creed and Lord's Prayer, has 4 half-columns ornamented with bosses and diamond studding. Elaborately carved entablature surmounted by scrolls and 4 figures. Screen in north aisle, Perpendicular. C18 wall tablets include memorial to Sir John Blencowe died 1726 signed by Edward Stanton and Horsnaile. Architectural tablet with urn and cartouche. William Walmesley died 1809 by R. Westmacott. Marble tablet with scroll pediment and Adam style decoration. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p. 302-3).

Listing NGR: SP5362242075

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234414
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 302-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12664/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Julia Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].