CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1371503
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371503.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 07:23:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Thenford
National Grid Reference:
SP 51897 41533

Details

THENFORD SP54SW 7/216 Church of St. Mary 04/02/69

- I

Church. Late C12, early C14 and Perpendicular. Squared uncoursed limestone and ironstone, lead and slate roofs. Chancel, nave and aisle, north porch, west tower. East window in chancel c.1300, 3 trefoiled lancets, 2 two-light windows with Y-tracery, also c.1300, to south C19 priests doroway, C19 lancet to north. In south aisle, plain C13 lancet in east wall; south east window c.1300 has Y-tracery and hood with lead stops. 2-light window with quatrefoil in head right of doorway. South doorway, late C12, has round arch with roll mouldings and jamb shafts with crudely moulded capitals. Window to left, c.1300, 2 lights with cusped Y-tracery. Round headed late C12 lancet in west wall. Perpendicular west tower: 3 stages with crenellated parapet, bell openings of 2 lights with cusped heads and transom. In north aisle, windows in east and west walls and right of porch all early C14 with tracery, renewed C19. C14 window left of porch has 3 cusped lights and 4-centred head. North porch rebuilt 1885 (datestone). Inner doorway, early C14, has arch with roll mouldings and hollow chamfered jambs. Interior: South arcade, 2 bays with pointed double chamfered arches and round pier. Stiff-leaf carving on capital of east respond. North arcade, c.1300, three bays with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. West and north-west windows of north aisle have corbels carved with naturalistic foliage. Perpendicular chancel screen and bench ends. C15 stained glass. East window of north aisle: Fragmentary figures of St. Anne and Virgin Mary, with St. Christopher. Monument to Fulk Woodhull, died 1613. North aisle, stone effigy in recess framed by fluted columns of composite order. Early C18 black marble floor slabs to Woodhull family with coats of arms and fine lettering. Painted wooden panel with crest recording repairs to church in 1701 paid for by John Tooley (no evidence of these repairs visible). (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.425).

Listing NGR: SP5189741533

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234488
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12664/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Julia Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].