Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371572.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:52:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 63266 54257


LITCHBOROUGH BANBURY ROAD SP65SW (South side) 6/116 Church of St. Martin 17/05/60


Church. C13, C14, some work of C15; restored 1883, by Albert Hartshorne. Coursed ironstone rubble, coursed squared ironstone, ironstone and limestone dressings, lead roofs. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 5-light Perpendicular east window with straight head, 3-light windows north and south with reticulated tracery and ogee-arched heads and 1-light low side windows north and south with cusped ogee-arched heads. Chamfered arched priest's door to south. Chamfered plinth, offset diagonal buttresses, offset buttresses between bays and chamfered string course at sill level stepped over low-side windows and door as hood mould. Nave has 4-bay clerestory of quatrefoil windows, except for 2-light straight-headed window at east end either side which have ogee-arched lights; all in square chamfered stone surrounds. 3-light straight-headed windows to north side of nave with pointed trefoil heads to lights of middle window, reticulated tracery to those either side. Many-moulded north door with shafts to outer arch, moulded capitals and hood mould. Carved stone above with heads and ithyphallic figure. offset buttresses between bays, offset diagonal buttress to east angle. South aisle has 3-light east window with intersecting tracery, a 2-light window with Y-tracery to south-east, and 2-light straight-headed windows with trefoil-headed lights to east of porch and at west end of aisle; lancet window to west side of porch. South door similar to north door in gabled porch with double-chamfered doorway, blacked windows north and south and obelisk finial to gable. 3-stage west tower has chamfered west door, cusped ogee-headed 1-light window above, polygonal stair turret to south, one-light window to middle stage north with cusped head and 2-light Decorated bell-chamber openings. Diagonal offset buttresses and battlmented parapet. Plain stone-coped parapets to rest of church. All windows and doors have hood moulds, except for clerestory and porch windows. Interior: chancel has ogee-arched piscina and trefoil-headed sedilia. Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds and moulded capitals. Nave has 4-bay double-chamfered south arcade with octagonal piers, polygonal responds and moulded capitals; part of round-arched head of former clerestory. window now blocked. South or Foxley aisle has piscina with pointed trefoil head. Triple-chamfered tower arch, 2 outer arches dying into wall. Tie-beam roof to nave dated 1814. Plain round font with C17 octagonal pyramidal cover with ball finials. 7-sided C17 pulpit. One panelled box pew (hall pew), rest C19 incorporating cut-down box pew panelling. 3 hatchments, oil on canvas. Medieval stained glass to heads of 2 windows on north side. Shield in head of lancet window to south-west with symbol of Trinity, probably also medieval. C19 stained glass window to south aisle and tower: east window of 1889. Monuments: brass plate on plain slab in nave to Henry Boughton d.1614. Wall monument and alabaster effigy on tomb chest to Sir John Needham d.1618. Wall monument is dated 1633 and has gadrooned surround to inscription. flanked by columns, apron with cherub's head, vine trail frieze and cartouche of arms above, flanked by finials incorporating other smaller cartouches. Another inscription on tomb-chest where Sir John Needham is referred to as GENTLEMAN PENSIONER UNTO THE LATE QUEENE/ELIZABETH OF HAPPIE MEMORIE AND AFTERWARD UNTO OUR LATE GOVERAIGNE LORD KING JAMES' Horizontal oval white marble wall monument to Thomas Grant d,1803. Wall 'monument to Edward Grant, d.1812, and Jane Grant, d,t?il, signed C. Prasperi, London, with mourning cherub leaning on down-turned torch, seated on inscription plaque. Almost life-sized angel on plinth erected by Edward Grant, 1907, recording names on plinth of all members of family buried in vault below, Female angel has upturned left arm and holds scroll in right hand inscribed UNTIL/THE DAY/DAWN. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, pp.291 and 292; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928; 'Litchborough in Northamptonshire', A short history of village and church (leaflet).

Listing NGR: SP6326654257


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Litchborough in Northamptonshire A short history of village and church
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 291-292
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/02379/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Rod Poxon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].