CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1371796
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ROUND TOWN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371796.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:51:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ROUND TOWN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Aynho
National Grid Reference:
SP 51451 33060

Details

SP5133 AYNHO ROUND TOWN (South side) 12/43 Church of St. Michael 04/02/69

- I

Parish Church. C14 tower, the rest rebuilt 1723-5 by Edward Wing. Restored 1863. Limestone ashlar and squared coursed limestone. Nave and chancel in one with west tower. North and south walls treated symmetrically are of 2- storeys and 7 bays. 2 end bays break forward and are framed by pilasters. 3 centre bays defined by pilasters and a pediment. Doorway with flat moulded hood on scroll brackets and 10-panelled door. Sundial above south doorway. Arched ground floor windows, segment headed windows on first floor except that above the doorway which is arched and breaks into the pediment above. The east wall of 3 bays has a pediment and 3 arched windows, the lower section of that to the north forms a doorway. West tower of 4 stages has a crenellated parapet and pinnacles. Bell openings of 2 traceried lights with transoms and square hoods. West window of 3 lights with flowing tracery and central niche for sculpture. C14 west doorway with continuous moulding. C18. Six panel double doors. Inner doorway C18 six panel. Interior: West gallery C18 with paired Tuscan columns. Box pews and pulpit. C18 font, fluted bowl on a baluster. Wood carving of the Crucifixion, French C17. Monuments include, Chest tomb to Cartwright family, erected 1654, black and white marble. Panelled sides with shields. Marble wall tablets to Matthew Hutton died 1711 by Edward Stanton, framed with baroque scrolls and draperies. To Thomas Chapman, died 1684, architectural frame with Corinthian columns, scroll pediment and urn and similar tablet to Rhoda Chapman, died 1686, both attributed to William Stanton. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.97; H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, 1978, p.905).

Listing NGR: SP5145133060

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
233942
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 905
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 97

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04176/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].