CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1372152
Date first listed:
03-May-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL, A45

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372152.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 01:19:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL, A45

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Northampton (District Authority)
Parish:
Upton
National Grid Reference:
SP 71747 60235

Details

In te entry for:

SP 7160 30/530 Church of Saint Michael Upton

The address and description shall be amended to read:

7159 NE UPTON A45 (south side) 4/1 Church of St Michael 03/05/68 GV I

Church. C12 with C13-C15 alterations, C14 tower and porch of 1594. Restored 1892-3 by M H Holding. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone and ironstone dressings lead roof. Nave and chancel, west tower and south porch. 2-bay chancel has 3-light Decorated east window with renewed tracery and hood mould, small normal 1-light window to north and 2-light Perpendicular-style window of 1892 to north- west with straight head and hood mould. Priest's door to south with round-arched, single-stepped head and hood mould. 2-light windows to south with cusped heads to lights and chamfered rectangular low-side window to west of priest's door. Nave has original single-stepped north and south doorways with double-stepped round-arched heads, imposts and hood moulds, that to south with 6-panel door. 3-light Perpendicular window to north with 4-centred head, tracery of 1892 and hood mould. Original 1-light window to north-east with round-arched head. Similar larger window to south. 2-light Perpendicular window to south-east and 2-light Perpendicular windows either side of porch with straight heads and hood moulds. Small quatrefoil clerestorey windows either side of porch roof. South porch as chamfered Tudor-arched doorway, small circular window to east side, small rectangular 1-light window to west with stone lintel, and stone-coped gable with kneelers and datestone in gable inscribed 1592 to left of central blank shield with initials VK above (Valentine Knightley) and HC to right. West end of nave has chamfered lancet window either side of canted stair-turret projection to tower. Tower is built within west end of nave and has 2-light bell-chamber openings with hood moulds, battlemented parapet and pyramidal roof with finial and wrought-iron weather-vane. Octagonal timber clock face above stair turret to west facing Upton Hall (qv). Off-set buttresses to west end, off-set buttressing to stair turret, stepped string course and plain stone-coped parapets to nave and chancel. Interior. No division between nave and chancel. Roofs renewed in restoration. Chamfered tower arch. Inner wall of tower incorporated 3-light screen panel, probably C15. A quatrefoil window higher up to left of tower arch and cruciform window to right. C17 communion table in vestry. Reredos, choir stalls, desks and pulpit, all of Riga oak and designed 1899 by M H Holding. Stain glass east window of 1870. 4 hatchments, oil on canvas, with Samwell family coat of arms. Monuments: alabaster effigies of Richard Knightley d.1537 and his wife, on tomb-chest of 1892 incorporating one original panel with 3 shield-holding angels. Wall monument to Sir Thomas Samwell d.1757 of veined grey marble with apron and cartouche above with painted coat of arms. Slate wall monument with painted inscription in upright oval gilt frame to James Harrington d.1677, buried St Margarets, Westminster, erected by his relative Wenman Langham Watson 18.10. Large wall monument to Thomas Samwell Watson Samwell d.1831 of white marble on slate background with mourning female figure and trophies on top, signed by Whiting, Northampton. Wall monument to Wenman Langham Watson Samwell d.1841 of white marble on slate ground. Another to Clarison Felicin Woodford d.1846. Both by Whiting. (Rev R M Serjeantson, History of St Peters Church, Northampton, and Upton Church; Kelly's Directory for 1936; Buildings of England; Northamptonshire, 1973, p437-8).

------------------------------------

Church of Saint Michael 1. 5327 Upton SP 7160 30/530 3.5.68. A GV

2. Small stone church with lead roofs. Chancel, nave, south porch, west tower. Norman chancel arches (with C15 tracery), north and south doorways. Lower stage of tower late C13 or early C14, upper part C15 with pinnacles, embattled parapet, wrought iron weather vane on apex of low hipped lead roof. Nave has some C13 windows, clerestory with Samwell family hatchments between small windows. South porch 1594. Vase shaped font. Knightley chancel monument with alabaster effigies, 1537. Samwell family wall monuments include 1 carved, 1835, by John Whiting. Rood screen reset at west end.

The Church of St Michael, Upton Hall, Gothic Arch and Aviary form a group.



Listing NGR: SP7174760235

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
231872
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)
Serjeantson, RM, History of St Peters Church Northampton and Upton Church
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1936), 437-8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15559/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur Hanley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].