CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1372577
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372577.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:36:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Corby (District Authority)
Parish:
Weldon
National Grid Reference:
SP 92782 89336

Details

WELDON CHURCH STREET SP9289 (North side) 16/177 Church of St. Mary 25/02/57

GV I

Church. Early C13 origins, mainly late C13, C14, west tower rebuilt C18, north chapel added 1862. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and west tower. Lead roofs. Aisled nave and chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of one-window range with C14 three-light window with reticulated tracery. South chapel abuts one bay of chancel. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet. 5-light Perpendicular east window with castellated gable parapet above. North elevation of chancel of one-window range with 3-light Perpendicular window. North chapel abuts in similar way to south chapel. South aisle of 3-window range including south chapel. Central C14 three-light window with reticulated tracery flanked by 2- and 3-light Perpendicular windows with 3 stage ashlar buttresses between. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet and 2 gargoyles. C19 two- and 3-light east and west windows. Left hand bay has Perpendicular porch with large castellated parapet and gargoyles. Outer arch has 4-centred head and cluster shafts. Inside the walls have triple arcading with cluster shafts. North aisle including north chapel of 4-window range with 3 C14 three-light square-head window to centre and right, all with carved label stops: and 3-light C19 window to far left. North door between window to right and 2-stage buttresses between other windows. Castellated ashlar parapet with corbel table and central gargoyle. C19 two- and 3-light east and west windows. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of C14 two light windows with 4-centred heads. Shallow gable roof with castellated ashlar parapet and 2 gargoyles to east side. 3-stage unbuttressed west tower with flat band between second and third stages. West door with broad single light window above with pointed head. Square tablet to west and south face of second stage having clock face on south side with sundial above. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of third stage have C18 Gothick tracery with roundels. Plain panelled parapet with moulded cornice below. Obelisk pinnacles, with ball finials, at corners. Octagonal wood cupula with glazed sides having glazing bars. Lead roof with wrought iron weather vane. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade, south is late C13 with roll moulded and chamfered arches with quatrefoil piers and stiff-leaf capitals, south chapel arcade is similar. Perpendicular north arcade has piers with a hollow chamfer towards nave and aisles and shafts towards the arch openings. Double chamfered chancel arch and early C13 semi-circular tower arch with carved head on capital. Roofs restored C19 and C20 retain some original timbers. Perpendicular double piscina and sedilia with trefoil head in south chapel. Niche to left of south chapel altar has steep triangular crocketted head. Frieze with cusping, below adjacent window. Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass in north aisle, north-east window, part depicting arms of Bassett family. C17 Flemish glass west tower window depicting the Adoration of the Magi, at one time given by Lord Nelson to Sir William Hamilton. C19 stained glass to chancel and south chapel east window, the latter is by Kempe. Monuments: various C17 inscribed floor tablets. C17 and C18 tablets in chancel including inscriptions to Dr. Greeves, Thomas Mainwaring and George Jeffreys. South chapel, south wall, Henry Pratt died 1595, inscribed plaque with decorated pilasters and obelisks above. 2 inscribed C18 tablets, to right, to Goode family have reeded pilasters, tablet to William Goode died 1761 on opposite wall. Other C19 tablets. Font C15 is attached to north aisle pillar. The unusual glazed lantern is said to have been a beacon light to guide travellers through Rockingham forest. (Buildings of England: p.237)



Listing NGR: SP9278289336

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
229959
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 237

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15908/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].