CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1372674
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, NORWICH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372674.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:46:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, NORWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Acle
National Grid Reference:
TG 40118 10292

Details

ACLE NORWICH ROAD TG 41 SW 2/8 Church of St. Edmund. 25.9.62. I Parish Church. C13 and C14 with some restoration in the 1860's by R.M. Phipson (nave) and Ewan Christian (chancel). Flint with limestone and brick dressings. Nave roof thatched, chancel slated; lead roofs to north and south porches. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south porches. Round west tower with C13 octagonal bell stage with tall single lancet in each face. C15 embattled parapet with flushwork panels and corner pinnacles in the form of figures on octagonal bases. Perpendicular 3-light west window. Polygonal stair turret at south-west junction with nave, rendered over. C15 two-storey south porch; two-light upper window in gable with square label mould. Square headed 2-light east and west windows. Stair toparvise in south-east angle, supported on a shallow brick arch. Nave windows generally of early C14 with cusped 'Y' tracery, some restored. Earlier two-light window without cusping on west side of porch. C16 rood stair turret at south east corner of nave with flint with brick quoins, and elongated quatrefoil openings. Chancel windows 3-light Decorated divided by staged buttresses. Low side window on south of chancel unglazed and fitted with wooden shutter. 3-light Decorated east window, restored. Angle buttresses to east gable. 2-light window with square head and label mould at north-east of nave. C15 north porch of knapped and galleted flint with polygonal stair turret at north east angle. Gable has angle buttresses with flushwork in base courses. Doorway with carved spandrels : kneeling figures with rosaries, possibly the donors. Above the doorway a triple opening with central stooled niche flanked by two lower openings with cusped ogee heads, all under square label moulds. 2-light 'Y' tracery window to west of porch. C19 flue of stone-dressed flint on west side, with octagonal stone chimney cap. Roofs C19; ribbed barrel vault with boarded ceiling over nave, scissor-braced rafter roof over chancel. Rood stair turret at south east corner of nave contains reconstructed remains of Romanesque doorway found in nave walls in 1927. C15 screen with 2-light divisions with ogee heads in two tiers. Painted panels in base. Very fine C15 octagonal font on two steps, the upper one decorated with quatrefoils and an inscription giving the date 1410. Stem carved with four lions and four wild men. The panels of the bowl carved with the Trinity, four angels, a Pieta and angels with the Instruments of the Passion and the Evangelistic symbols. Remains of original colouring. C19 stone tower screen with central ogee-headed doorway. North wall of chancel has C14 inscription referring to the Black Death of 1349, and a brass to Thomas Stones (+1627) Monument to Jerimiah Berry, +1767, on south wall of chancel by W. Lane of Norwich. Triple dropped-cill sedilia with ogee arches. Good piscina with shelf and crocketted head.

Listing NGR: TG4011810292

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228584
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/03796/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Smee. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].