CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1372907
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372907.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 04:15:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
Parish:
Fleggburgh
National Grid Reference:
TG 44494 14010

Details

FLEGGBURGH MAIN ROAD TG 41 SW (north side) Burgh St. Margaret 6/10 Church of St. Margaret 25.9.62

- II*

Parish church. C12 origins, remodelled. C14 and C15. Restored 1876, tower restored 1900 by H. Green, Diocesan architect. Cut flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Thatched roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage square unbuttressed tower. 2-light west window with 4-petal vesica. Clock faces to west and south sides. String course below belfry stage. 2- light louvred belfry windows. Crenellated parapet. Gabled south porch with side buttresses. Arched moulded entrance. 2-light side windows. Evidence of work earlier than 1876 elusive. C12 inner south doorway. 2 orders. of shafts, the inner engaged, the outer with cushion capitals and bases. Arch with inner roll, deep zig-zag rolls and double billet hood. Fenestration of church entirely C19. 3 2-light Perpendicular south windows. 2 small lancets over porch and, in roof, a 3-light dormer under thatch. 3 flint and brick stepped buttresses. North nave also with 4 brick and flint stepped buttresses. Wall of whole flints. Remains of billet hood of north doorway. 2 2-light Perpendicular windows as south and 2 trefoiled lancets. One stepped buttress to chancel north and south. 2 2-light cusped Y tracery south windows. Priests' door to north chancel wall. Diagonal stepped eastern buttresses. 3-light east window. Interior. Doorway into tower. Western gallery of timber 1876 lit through dormer window. C19 arched braced nave roof. C19 chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds. Boarded C19 scissor braced chancel roof. C19 octagonal font with shields and emblems in bowl panels. Rosettes and ornamental details abound. In south chancel wall a brass to Joannes Burton, 1608. Kneeling figure dressed in ecclesiastical costume prayes at stall. Behind him a perspective tiled floor recedes in the manner of Flemish Renaissance painters. Below him is an inscription panel. Wall monument to George Fisher who died of wounds received at Gaza 1917.



Listing NGR: TG4449414010

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227680
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13794/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Edleston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].