Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372918.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:56:03.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
Fritton and St. Olaves
National Grid Reference:
TG 47327 00143


FRITTON & ST. OLAVES CHURCH LANE TG 40 SE (south side) 7/32 Church of St. Edmund 27.11.54 - II*

Parish church. C12, with nave enlarged to south C14. West tower, nave, chancel and sanctuary. Whole building restored 1855, chancel restored 1927. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Thatched roofs. 3 stage circular tower with a slit lancet to the west. Wide brick lined pointed lancets to ringing chamber and louvred belfry windows, that to west of 2-lights and carrying a vesica; the remainder are lancets. Rebuilt plain brick parapet. To south nave is a gabled porch of 1855, matched by a gabled north vestry also of 1855. 3 2-light C14 nave windows, each light trefoiled and with a pointed quatrefoil vesica. A large sloping brick buttress is attached to east end of north nave wall. Small chancel with round apse. At east end are 2 flat buttresses. Between them and to either side are 3 slit lights (3 in,all). The chancel is lit through 2 C15 2-light windows under square heads. Interior. Double wave moulded inner south door. Arched tower doorway. Square font of 1855 in Norman style (copied from that of Hartland, Devon). Boarded scissor braced nave roof. On north nave wall alarge C14 painting of St. Christopher. On south-east window jamb of nave a painting of St. John the Baptist, also C14. Plain but intact early C17 triple decker pulpit. Mid C14 chancel screen of 3 ogeed bays each side of central opening. C19 circular shafts, plain plank dado and frieze of geometric roundels below top rail. Quadruple chamfered chancel arch, rather stilted, leads into a barrel vaulted chancel, divided from apsidal sanctuary by a flat arch on pilasters. In the chancel are plain early C14 stalls with vestigial button poppyheads. Chancel arch retains scroll paintings and other non-figurative decoration, repainted 1927 but of C12 type. Groin vaulted sanctuary with substantial remains of animal and figurative wall paintings, all C12. Central splayed lancet flanked by one order shafts on bases and with scalloped capitals. Zig-zag arch. Remaining 2 lancets have similar surrounds added 1855. Rare pillar piscina in sanctuary : moulded base but C19 bowl.

Listing NGR: TG4732700143


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12645/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Susan Green. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].