CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373078
Date first listed:
05-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373078.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:08:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Bergh Apton
National Grid Reference:
TM 31052 99895

Details

BERGH APTON CHURCH ROAD, South TM 39 NW side Church of S.S. Peter 5/17 & Paul 5.9.60 - II*

Parish church. Some fabric of C14 and C15, but the church much rebuilt and restored c1837 by John Brown of Norwich. Flint, partly rendered and ashlared, with limestone and brick dressings; slated roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south porches, north and south transepts. Fabric of west tower largely medieval with staged diagonal western buttresses. Plain louvred bell openings with stone chamfered reveals and pointed arches. Embattled parapet of chequerwork brick and flint, brick corner finials and roll-top copings. 2-light west window, late C14. C19 south porch with 2-light windows to east and west with square heads and drip moulds. Ogee headed niche with figure of Christ over entrance arch; gable parapet with cross finial. South nave windows of 2 lights with 'Y' tracery. Gabled south transept with 3-light south window with intersecting tracery. On the east wall of the transept two memorial slabs to Edward Bound d.1801 and his wife Elizabeth d.1799 and to Elizabeth Bound d.1792. South wall of chancel has one plain semi-circular headed window to the west and a central priests' door set in a small gabled projection. Coped gable parapets to east wall and at junction of nave and chancel. Shallow pilaster- buttresses to east gable wall. Large single-light east window with semi- circular head and continuous roll moulding. Small niche above east window. Two semi-circular headed windows on north side of chancel; north transept as south, with 3-light north window with intersected tracery. Two 2-light north nave windows with 'Y' tracery. North porch now a vestry with parapeted flat roofed extension to west. South doorway with hood mould on head stops; head caving at arch apex, C14 but possibly rebuilt. C19 nave roof of arch-braced principals on short wallposts. Plain boarded ceiling. Diagonal ribs at crossing with central pendant. Early C19 west gallery with solid balustrade with traceried panels. Chancel arch with continuous mouldings. Chancel roof of arch braced and roll-moulded principals and purlins, all painted, with wallposts on consoles. Plastered chancel ceiling. Wall monument to Elizabeth French d.1731; C18 and C19 floor slabs in nave and chancel. Good C15 octagonal font, around the bowl figures of angels alternate with the signs of the evangelists; the corbels supporting the bowl carved with angels with outspread wings; around the stem four lions and four standing figures.

Listing NGR: TM3105299895

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226724
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02173/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].