Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST REMIGIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373115.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 17:49:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 16082 04918


TG 10 SE HETHERSETT NORWICH ROAD (south-east side) 5/45 Church of St. Remigius 26.11.59 II*

Parish church, C14, restored 1874, flint with some erratics, stone dressings, lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave with two roof lines, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, north porch. 4-stage west tower with lead fleche and embattled parapet; 5-stepped diagonal buttresses and plinth with flint chequered flushwork: western buttresses with cusped niches; renewed 3-light west window breaking string course, Decorated tracery, cusped niche above; second stage with slits to all 4 faces (that to east now within nave); third stage with clockface to north; C14 2-light tall openings breaking string course, ogee-headed lights and decorated tracery. Internal stair to south-west angle having pierced quatrefoil lights; some bricks within flintwork. Nave: restored 1874, 3 bays to west with slate roof, 2 bays to east with lower pitched roof of lead, gable between with added studwork and barge boards. Clerestorey 2-light openings all of 1874, 6 each to north and south of 2 lights under a quatrefoil. 3 to west under basket heads, 3 to east with 4-centred arches and quatrefoils. North porch: 2 storeys, broken flint, lead roof and gable parapet; Perpendicular arch with side shafts having salamanders to capitals; angel stops to hood and angels within spandrels; 2-light opening above with panel tracery, empty niches to left and right. Porch returns with 2-light openings with panel tracery renewed, east return with stone shield bearing Passion symbols. Porch interior with tierceron vault with sculptured bosses, the ribs spring from corbels with mythical beasts. Renewed perpendicular doorway with a double-leaved door having wrought iron decorative panels. North aisle with 4 renewed openings of 2 ogee-headed lights under a quatrefoil; south aisle similar but with 4 large stepped brick buttresses and stepped string course running into square hood mould of 4-centred south doorway; both aisles with similar west openings. Chancel and transepts rebuilt 1874 (the chancel having been in ruins since C16). Facings of field flints; transepts attached to aisles with straight buttresses; diagonal buttresses to east transepts and to chancel. Transept openings and north and south openings to chancel of 2 trefoil-headed lights under a quatrefoil. 3-light east window of early C14 with Decorated tracery. Gable crosses to chancel, east nave and porch. Interior: 5 bay arcade north and south with quatrefoil piers and double hollow chamfered arches; Perpendicular tower arch with semi-circular jambs, all painted with floral decoration and texts 1866; seating of 1857. Roof renewed C19. Chancel arch and arches to transepts with C19 quatrefoil jambs and double hollow chamfered arches. Chancel with angle piscina in C13 style with red marble colonette. C14 trefoil headed piscina to south aisle. Octagonal font with varied cusped figures to faces, bowl supported by central column and 8 small limestone colonettes. High doorway to tower stair in north-west angle with pointed arch and medieval boarded door. Mural monument in south aisle to Isaac Motham 1703/4 by W. Stanton, inscription flanked by Corinthian columns under broken segmental pediment containing achievement, putti at base. 13 Tournai marble ledger slabs 1633-1816, many heraldic, including 1816 to "John Luke Iselin Esq. a native of the City of Bazil in Switzerland ... Eminent Merchant and Manufacturer in Norwich". Rails to north and south aisle chapels of early spade-headed bench ends; C17 base to south aisle Table.

Listing NGR: TG1608204918


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00262/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Erskine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].