CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373136
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373136.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:23:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Keswick and Intwood
National Grid Reference:
TG 19687 04184

Details

TG 10 SE KESWICK INTWOOD

5/61 Church of All Saints 26.11.59 II*

Parish church, C12, restored 1852-3. Flint with some erratics and iron conglomerate, minimal dressings, stone window surrounds. Plain tiles to south, pantiles to north. Round west tower, nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry. Cl2 tall round tower with C15 octagonal upper stage, flint with some iron conglomerate; Roman tile voussoirs to former west doorway; C13 single light west window above with cusped head; stage above with plain lancet to north and south. Octagonal upper stage with stone dressings and embattled parapet of knapped flint; 4 double-light bell openings, heads and hoods renewed c.1985. Nave: lower part of quoins to west with some iron conglomerate, upper quoins undressed; eastern quoins similar but with some Roman tiles. North and south nave each with one 2-light opening of 1852 with 4-centred arch and Decorated tracery; south nave also with C19 lancet in former opening having brick tile voussoirs. Gable parapets east and west with shaped stone kneelers. C14 south porch refaced with broken flint with stone dressings; continuous moulding to porch arch with figure stops renewed. Niche above with slate inscribed RESTORED AD 1852. 4-centred south doorway and door of 1852, wooden doorframe, ledged and battened double-leaved door. C15 chancel with some bricks and erratics; angle buttresses with flushwork, C19 2-light opening with panel tracery north and south, 3-light Perpendicular style east window of 1852. North vestry of 1852 across opposing doorway, knapped flint, pantiles, extended southwards 1970 with plain Gothick doorway reset. Interior: mainly of 1852. Pews of 1802 in C15 style with elaborate poppy head benchends; table c.1802, extended top, fat plain turned legs; west gallery dated 21st September 1853; font of 1852 in C15 style with ogee cover having crockets and decorated style tracery. Tall semi-circular headed tower arch. Steep curved stair within tower-having stick balusters and turned newel. South chancel with marble mural monument to Joseph Muskett 1832; memorial to Clement W.O. Unthank 1900, died at Lucknow from "the effects of a fall at polo", brass plaque by P. Orr of Madras.

Listing NGR: TG1968704184

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226946
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12648/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Wilson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].