CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373140.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:07:23.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Norfolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TG 16381 02561
TG 10 SE KETTERINGHAM CHURCH ROAD
5/80 Church of St. Peter 26.11.59
Parish church, Cll and later, restored 1837; flint and some erratics with stone dressings, plain tiles. West tower, nave and chancel in one, north porch. Unbuttressed tower with some iron conglomerate, lower quoins undressed, some iron conglomerate dressings, upper quoins in stone. C19 2-light west window under 4-centred arch with ogee headed cusped light and panel tracery; north and south faces with narrow triangular headed lancets dressd in iron conglomerate; small tile dressed bulls eye to west, similarly dressed clock of 1870 to north; recessed bell stage rebuilt 1870 with stone dressings, 2-light C19 bell openings to each face with Decorated tracery. C19 parapet of brick and stone chequerwork, square ashlar. turret to north- west, standing angels to south-east and north-east angles, standing apostle to south-west. West nave with lower angles undressed, middle angles with some iron conglomerate and brick dressings, upper angles stone dressed; north-west nave battered; vestigial stair turrets to north and south in angles with tower. North porch: flint with small diagonal buttresses, north facade rendered with niche over arch; arch renewed C19 with shafts to jambs, wave moulding. Returns with small C19 2-light openings. Porch roof and parapet of C19. Plain north doorway with medieval ledged and battened door; stone in angle to right. Large C18 brick buttress to north facade, 1 lancet to east, C19 renewed opening to right, 2 single C19 lancets to right replacing C12 lancets. Vestry and entrance of 1845 to chancel, English bond brick with crowstepped gable, double casement to east with pintle hinges, lancet to north; entrance to right with door. Early C15 chancel with stone dressings. 5-light east window of c.1412 with panel tracery, blocked quatrefoil above. South facade from west to east: south doorway with plain arch and replica door c.1980 similar to north door; C19 2-light Perpendicular opening; blocked double splay C12 semi-circular headed opening; C19 2-light opening with panel tracery; C12 double splay semi-circular headed opening having below a recessed doorway with pointed arch now blocked; chancel with flint plinth, single lancet having a rectangular blocked opening below; double lancet. Interior: roof of 1908, symbolic and heraldic bosses, ashlar pieces with frieze, arch braced from short hammerbeams with standing angels, wall posts below rising from C19 stone corbels of heads with wings. Large tie beam with fluted decoration at corbel level to west wall; C17 tie beam and wall posts at entrance to chancel, all with ¼ moulded chamfers and lambs tongue stops, early C18 10-branch candelabra from tie beam, C19 rood above. Similar wall posts to chancel but with C18 wrought iron braces and tie. West gallery inscribed 'ERECTED SEPTEMBER 26th 1841 BY SIR JOHN P BOILEAU'; early C19 chamber organ with mahogany case to gallery. Font: early C15, octagonal with evangelistic symbols, 2 flowers, defaced crucifix and Holy Trinity to faces; deep fluted stem with fleurons; trailing vine to bowl stem as to Church of St. Peter, Cringleford q.v. 2/16. Cruciform step with shield to each arm. Fittings of 1837, pine pews with poppyhead bench ends in oak; 3 decker pulpit and 8 pew doors in oak having ogee headed arches of beading. C13 trefoil headed piscina with shafts having deeply undercut capitals. Rererdos of late C16 Flemish painting on wood panel of Marriage Feast at Cana. East window with early C15 glass to tracery panels, fragments of C15 figure and heraldic glass to lights with some Flemish rondels. North priest's door blocked, but exterior now in vestry entrance with stone above embossed MH/1684. Royal achievement of George III under tower. Many monuments, including in chancel: (1) (south) altar tomb with quatrefoil frieze under 4-centred arch, early C16 brasses to wall of Sir Thomas Heveningham, 1499, and wife Mary 15--, kneeling heraldic figures with children, scrolls and shields, all gilded and some still with pigment; (2) (floor) two Tournai marble ledger slabs to Heveningham family, 1633 and c.1700 heraldic; (3) (north) 1678, to Mary Heveningham and her deceased husband (unnamed because a regicide), mural black marble in moulded stone surround, flanking black marble Corinthian columns, on a ledge in front kneeling figures of man facing a woman with daughter across faldstool, a flying angel with swaddled child in white marble to inscription above; (4) (south) elaborate mural in yellow and grey marble to Atkyns family. 1669-1711, grey marble sarcophagus to front to Edward Atkyns 1756; (5) (north) Edward Atkins 1794 and son 1804 by R. Westmacott 1807, column with willow branch, weeping lady over militaria; (6) (north) Harriet Peach, 1825, by J. Flaxman, relief of 2 flying angels bearing lady; (7) (south) Mary Atkins, 1829, by E. Gaffin, 2 putti below inscription, urn above; (8) (north) Frances Mary Peach, 1833, by Willson; (9) (east) Nathaniel William Peach, 1835, by E. Physick, relief urn and wreath.
Listing NGR: TG1638102561
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing