CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373437
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, HORNING ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373437.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:24:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, HORNING ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hoveton
National Grid Reference:
TG 30924 18174

Details

HOVZTON HORNING ROAD TG 31 NW (south side) 7/59 Church of St. John 16:4:55 - II*

Parish church. Nave and chancel C12 in origin but remodelled C15. West tower 1765. Restored 1890 by H.J. Green, Diocesan architect. Flint with ashlar dressings and some carstone. Tower of brick. Roofs of black glazed pantiles. 3 stage tower with stepped diagonal western buttresses rising to belfry stage. 2-light cusped Y tracery west window. Blank square recesses to ringing chamber and string courses between floors. Datestone 1765 to west. 4-centred louvred belfry windows. Corbelled string course below plain parapet. Nave windows of 3 lights under 4-centred arches and Perpendicular : 4 to south, 2 to north. One brick and flint stepped buttress west of arched south door. At eaves timber tie plates. 2 2-light square headed cusped chancel south windows, no chancel north windows. Brick dentil eaves cornice of 1890. At east end a brick and flint buttress to both sides. 3-light cusped east window. Below is memorial plaque to George Brown 1757. Semi-circular grated hole in north chancel leads to crypt. Bulge of rood stairs at north nave anti at north-west corner carstone quoins. Gabled north porch, partly rendered. Double chamfered arch and hood. Blocked side windows. Dentil eaves cornice. Inner doorway C18 : keeled mouldings on moulded bases and hood on label stops. Interior. Wave moulded tower arch with semi-circular responds, polygonal capitals and bases. Octagonal C15 font, the stem with 2 ogeed lights to each panel. Under bowl crudely carved angels. Bowl with panels of shields within cusping. Painted Royal Arms over south door. Seating 1890 except 3 benches retain 6 C15 poppyhead bench ends. Scissor braced roof 1890. C16 chancel screen of 2 bays right and left of 4-centred opening, each bay further divided into 2. Traceried dado and in head a continuous frieze of ogeed tracery. Double chamfered continuous chancel arch. Plastered chancel roof.

Listing NGR: TG3092418174

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224390
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04133/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Laurie A. Saunders. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].