TG 04 SE
Church of St. Mary
Parish Church, medieval. Restored 1888 and 1960-1. Flint (Quaternary and Quarry Flint) and chert with brick and Lincolnshire Limestone dressings, lead roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north porch, north chapel and ruined south chapel.
Three-stage tower of stone dressed flint, embattled parapet of lozenge flush work, a gargoyle to each face; stepped diagonal buttresses, Perpendicular three-light west window with panel tracery, voussoirs of alternate knapped flint and brick; small single cusphead lights to second stage, two-light openings to bell stage, tracery lost.
North nave and chapel of uncoursed galletted whole and broken flints, partly renewed, stone dressings, brick dentil cornice; two tall windows with tracery as west window of tower, similar window renewed to north face of chapel, gable parapet and pantiles to chapel. Low north porch of knapped flint, four-centred porch arch having stone corbels with shields; Heydon arms in stone above; north doorway with plain chamfered jambs, hollow chamfer and wave moulding to arch, hood mould.
South nave of four bays, whole and broken flints brick dentil cornice; four stepped buttresses, south doorway as north, but wider; three tall windows with tracery and voussoirs as west window to tower, one opening to ruined south chapel of part walls of flint; parapetted east gable of nave renewed in brick.
Chancel: south wall and southern part of east wall in regular coursed flint and flint with brick, brick quoins, low stone string course, two-light Decorated windows to south with renewed heads, small C19 two-light window to east in larger brick blocked Perpendicular opening, lower part rendered; north chancel in part rendered flint, renewed brick eaves courses, blocked north door, re-inserted lancet window of 1960 with new stone dressings.
Interior: double framed roof renewed C19; Tall tower arch with plain jambs, stone corbels with shields to inner chamfered arch; rendered walls, unmoulded continuous chancel arch with keystone and internal buttresses, blocked rood loft doorway to north having wide stair to rear from north chapel; chancel floor raised, flat ceiling, C15 eastern sepulchre to north having four-centred arch under crocketted ogee arch, crocketted side pinnacles, panel tracery above arch and below slab; polygonal C15 pedestal with embattled moulding across north-east angle of chancel. Over north door two high blank semi-circular headed arches, one with projecting imposts, small Royal achievement to Queen Anne altered by addition of GR/1797. C15 glass fragments depicting female saints in south-east window of nave from three tracery panels. Octagonal font, c.1500, inscribed round rim to the donors William and Beatrice Kelling, the faces depict the Agnus Dei, the Trinity, the Passion, the arms of England and the Prince of Wales, East Anglia, St. Paul and St. Peter.
Listing NGR: TG0887741729