CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373800
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373800.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:28:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wood Norton
National Grid Reference:
TG 01058 27777

Details

TG 02 NW WOOD NORTON CHURCH ROAD

6/112 Church of All Saints.

6/3/59 II*

Parish church, details largely Perpendicular and of high quality. Flint with stone dressings, brick upper stage of tower, tiled roofs. West tower, 3 bay aisleless nave, south porch, 2 bay chancel. Tower C15 lower stage, knapped flint, two west angle buttresses with stone dressings, 2 light Perpendicular west window, belfry stage of good quality brick with date stone 1700. Stone dressed angle buttresses continuation of C15 work below, stone string course, 3 brick honeycomb belfry windows with stone imposts and red and black brick header arches, brick string course and battlements. Nave with flint and conglomerate rubble in north and south walls, knapped flint east and west gables, and buttresses. Perpendicular south porch with knapped flint to south face only, stone dressed 4-centred arch, 2 angle buttresses with single set off and pinnacles with crocketed spirelets, stone parapet brought to apex with C15 foliated cross, parapet returned with central gargoyles. Nave south 3 bay 2 2-light Perpendicular windows floriated cross on east gable. Chancel south 2 Perpendicular straight headed windows, priest's door of c.1300. East gable knapped flint with 2 angle buttresses and C19 3 light Decorated style east window, blocked niche above with gable cross. Chancel north with late C19 lean-to vestry with east window re-used 2-light straight headed Perpen- dicular window. Nave north 3 2-light Perpendicular windows, buttresses, north door Decorated arch with C15 door. Interior largely c.1881 restoration, including roofs. Perpendicular tower arch, west window with re-used C15 stained glass fragments. Chancel arch Perpendicular and blocked north rood stairs door Perpendicular. Nave south wall piscina. Chancel with 2 partly re-used pre-C15 bench ends. Angle piscina of c.1300 with simple window seat sedilia. East window stained, by Charles Gibbs c.1875. Stalls and benches c.1881. Nave stone font, octagonal stem, bulbous font of somewhat classical inspiration suggesting C17 date with wooden canopy with dove. Kelly's Directory Norfolk 1916 p.540.

Listing NGR: TG0105827777

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224024
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Norfolk, (1916), 540

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06656/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Alec Douet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].