Church of St. Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373807
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Itteringham

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373807.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:17:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Itteringham

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Itteringham
National Grid Reference:
TG 14488 30964

Details

TG 13 SW 7/40

ITTERINGHAM Church of St. Mary

4.10.60

GV II*

Parish church, medieval, restored 1859. Flint (Quaternary and Quarry Flint), chert and Lincolnshire Limestone elements with slate roof of 1824. Tower, nave, chancel, south porch and ruined north chapel.

Exterior: unbuttressed west tower of three stages in coursed flint with stone dressings; plain parapet; south side gargoyle; projecting stair turret to north side. Two-centred west window arch with central wooden mullion; wide bell openings with multi-cusped heads. Tablet on south wall to William Load, 1734, and wife Grace, 1739.

Nave: rendered coursed flint with some iron conglomerate; eaves rebuilt in brick. Two C19 south windows of two and three lights.

South porch: rendered flint with stone dressings partly rebuilt in brick; plain chamfered arch; single trefoil headed lights to each side; continuous moulded doorway. Ledged and battened door with lozenge shaped iron plate with ring, lattice bracing to rear dated 174- and wooden lock dated 1748.

East and south walls to chancel of coursed flint and iron conglomerate with conglomerate quoins; eaves to south rebuilt in brick; central stepped buttress to south; single trefoil headed light to right, two-light window tinder square head to left. Some bricks in east gable; top of east gable rebuilt in knapped flint; original opening blocked by knapped flint; smaller inserted C19 window of three lights with panel tracery. North chancel wall rebuilt in brick over flint base; one two-light window under square head.

North chapel of St. Mary in ruins; flint north wall and gable with opening having internal brick dressings; foundations to west and east walls; original arch to nave blocked with inserted C19 window of 'Y' tracery.

Interior: C19 king post roof; tower arch with chamfered jambs; pointed segmental chancel arch with polygonal shafts; doorway to former roof loft, north; wide piscina with cinque foil head and round shafts. C17 panelling in Sanctuary. Plain octagonal font on octagonal stem with C17 cover. Pulpit, probably C18, with figurehead of winged female. William IV achievement over and 1839 Tithe Commutation map to left of north door. Brass memorial inscriptions in marble slabs on chancel floor: William Lumnor, 1481, (the builder of Mannington Hall qv 7/49) with indent for heart and scrolls; Margaret, dau. of Thos Monseus, 1504, wife of Wm. Lumnor.

Listing NGR: TG1448830964

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224061
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 19 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10488/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].