CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373817
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373817.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:07:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Bacton
National Grid Reference:
TG 33587 33698

Details

BACTON CHURCH LANE TG 33 SW (north side) 4/6 Church of St. Andrew 16.4.55 - II*

Parish church. C14 origin, remodelled C15, restored 1847, re-roofed 1895. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Nave roof of slate, chancel thatched. West tower, nave and chancel. 4 stage tower closely dated by bequests to 1459-1485. Blocked west door under 4-centred arch with carved shields and tracery in spandrels. 3-light transomed west window. Diagonal stepped buttresses with flushwork, at their bases nodding ogee statuary niches with pedestals. Square ringing chamber vent holes with shields carved on tracery. 2-light belfry windows and crenellated flint parapet. Gabled south porch with blocked brick side lancets and double chamfered entrance arch. Brick niche in gable containing figure of Christ. Diagonal buttresses. Wave moulded inner door below hood mould on labels. Stepped buttresses to nave between 2-light cusped lozenge windows, 3 on south, 2 on north side. Rood stairs to south-east. Diagonal east nave buttresses. Stepped side buttresses to chancel. 2 2-light chancel south windows, one square headed, the other depressed arched. 3-light C19 cusped intersecting east window. One square headed single light chancel north window. Interior. Tall tower arch with semi-circular responds and polygonal capitals. Nave roof 1895 : arched braces to collars. Arched rere arch to south door, segmental to north door. Hollow chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds and polygonal capitals. Scissor braced and boarded chancel roof, stepped to east to accommodate east window. Stepped sedilia in chancel with 3 hollow chamfered depressed arches. Octagonal early C15 font on square stem. The stem enriched by 4 crouching animals at foot from which rise 4 engaged columns with cusped nodding ogee collars. Between columns are square cusped and crocketted buttresses. The bowl with 8 winged angel heads to corners. Each panel separated by decorated buttresses, the panels alternately carved with symbols of 4 Evangelists and angels bearing shields.

Listing NGR: TG3358633697

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224221
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/08609/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Mathers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].