CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ADJOINING WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1373921
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ADJOINING WALL, TOLLERTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ADJOINING WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373921.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 14:59:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ADJOINING WALL, TOLLERTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Tollerton
National Grid Reference:
SK 61558 34773

Details

SK 63 SW TOLLERTON TOLLERTON LANE (east side)

6/131 Church of St. Peter and 1.12.65 adjoining wall

G.V. II

Parish church and adjoining wall. C13, rebuilt c.1812, 1908. In the main stucco, some red brick and ashlar. Slate and lead roofs, the nave being hipped to the east. Buttressed and, apart from vestry, set on a chamfered ashlar plinth. Tower, nave, aisles, south vestry, south mausoleum and chancel. North west single stage ashlar tower with single diagonal buttress to the north. Stepped battlements. West wall with doorway with deep stepped reveal and Cl9 door. Above, to the west, north and east sides are single openings each with 2 arched lights under a flat arch. The bell chamber has 4 triangular arched openings each with 2 similarly arched lights. To the right of the tower and slightly set back is the red brick gabled west end of the nave with bands following the line of the gable. Arched doorway with plank double door. Either side are single casements with lozenge glazing bars. Above is a single triangular arched casement with decorative glazing bars. The north aisle has 2 arched 2 light windows each with Y tracery. The clerestory has 3 two light windows, the eaves are decorated with a stepped band. The north chancel has 2 arched windows each with 2 arched lights. The east end has a single arched 3 light window with intersecting tracery. The diagonal buttresses terminate above the crow-stepped parapet in single obelisk finials. The south chancel wall has a single arched window with 2 arched lights. To the left is an attached octagonal brick buttress rising to a rendered octagonal buttress and terminating in an obelisk finial. The east wall of the embattled mausoleum has a single round arched blind panel. Attached to the left is an embattled 5 bay arcaded wall, origianlly a cloister, with chamfered arches divided by single buttresses which terminate in obelisk pinnacles. The single right bay is now blocked, is incorporated in the vestry and has a single small glazing bar casement. The wall is attached to Roclaveston Manor listed as a separate item. The south wall of the vestry has a doorway with plank door and single glazing bar casement to the left. The west wall has a single similar casement. The south wall of the aisle has 2 tall 2 light windows. The west wall is at an oblique angle and has a single small light. The clerestory corresponds to the northl. Interior. Restored 3 bay C13 nave arcades with circular columns and responds, moulded capitals, double chamfered arches and hood moulds. Moulded tower arch, part blocked and with domestic chamfered arched doorway flanked by single fixed lights. Over is a gallery being the squire's pew with fireplace. Moulded chancel arch supported on either side by single pilasters. The south chancel wall has a single blocked 2 light window to the west. To the east of the south aisle is the 1812 Pendock Barry Mausoleum. South aisle/mausoleum chamfered arch with good decorative wrought iron screen with gateway. 3 further chamfered arches with glazed ceiling. Extending between the top of the outer 2 arches are small bands of 5 bay blind arcading. Between the 2 central arches are single chamfered arched niches each with single carved figure. Below are further single larger niches each containing a single decorative memorial obelisk. On the east wall is a decorative memorial to Susanna Pendock Barry, d.1811, in whose memory the mausoleum was built. The walls are further decorated with small shields. In the south wall is a doorway to the vestry. all ashlar shaft piscina, the shaft decorated with diaper, the bowl with scrolls. Some C18 floor slabs in the chancel, single C17 floor slab in the south aisle. Remaining furniture C19 with wooden pulpit and 2 octagonal ashlar fonts. There are 6 hatchments. Under the gallery is an inner west porch with 2 rooms formed by panelled screens.

Listing NGR: SK6155834773

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
431211
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12350/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JM Webber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].