CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1374280
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374280.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:12:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Lichfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Drayton Bassett
National Grid Reference:
SK 19296 00209

Details

SK 1800-1900 DRAYTON BASSETT C.P. DRAYTON BASSETT

14/19 Church of St. Peter 27.2.64 GV II*

Parish church. Probably C15 with rebuilding of 1793 and circa 1855. Ashlar; slate roof with coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave, single- bay chancel all with diagonal buttresses, north-east vestry. West tower: C15. 3 stages marked by off-sets, crenellated parapet; massive buttress at north-west corner. Large pointed south doorway with wide chamfered jambs; the arch has 2 orders of half-roll and fillet and one order comprising 2 sunken chamfers separated by a fillet; small rectangular window above with hood mould; pointed belfry windows of 2 trefoil headed lights with quatrefoil above bounded by short supermullions. Nave: 1793. Pointed windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights and a single reticulation, hood moulds with foliated stops. Chancel: circa 1855. Pointed south door of 2 moulded orders; pointed east window of 3 lights with reticulated tracery and hood mould with foliated stops. Vestry: east door with Caernarvon arch head; north window of two trefoil headed lights. Interior: pointed and widely splayed door to tower; high pointed chancel arch; pointed door each side of the chancel. Nave roof has braced tie beams, the braces springing from stone corbels, arch braced collars, 2 pairs of purlins and a ridge piece, the chancel has an arch braced collar roof. West gallery housing the organ, served by a wooden staircase with splat balusters. Fittings: full set of C19 box pews; good oak pulpit of 1875, octagonal, Gothic style panels, brass balustrade; reading desk of 1875 with open panels. Wooden altar rail, pair of Gothic style arm chairs and altar table, all circa 1855; octagonal stone font, 5 columns with stiff-leaf capitals form the pedestal. Monuments: Sir Robert Peel (the statesman), died 1850, by White of Vauxhall Bridge Road, Gothic style, elaborate traceried canopy over a large inscription panel with black lettering, set within a panelled wooden enclosure. Aedicule to Sir Robert Peel, died 1830. Tablets to Samuel Cooper Esquire, died 1816; Dickenson family, circa 1846; John Webster, died 1849; Webster family, circa 1830; Alice Mayou, died 1837. Stained glass: all the windows of the nave and the east windows were inserted in 1875, nothing special.

Listing NGR: SK1929600209

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
272771
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01455/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David R. Grounds. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].