Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of THE CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374431.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 09:33:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Staffordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 20924 29117


1. 5369 TUTBURY CASTLE HILL SK 2028 4/2 ----------- The Castle I

2. Castle ruins. C12 chapel. North-east gateway of early C14, the rest C15 and later. On the south side the present entrance is through the south wall of the former King's Lodging of 1631-5 on the site of the former great hall and solar, of which portions remain. To west the motte is crowned by a folly keep of early C19 known as Julius's tower. To east is the South Tower, actually 2 adjoining towers of circa 1442-50. The curtain wall extends north-east to a small tower and to the North Tower beyond, built circa 1450 and terminating with the North-East Gateway, known as John of Gaunt's Gateway, a fabric on early C14 with C15 towers. In the bailey stand the remains of the Norman chapel. The castle, which for long has been the property of the Duchy of Lancaster, was founded by Henry de Ferrers. Mary Queen of Scots was confined here on several occasions. Crown Property and A.M.

Listing NGR: SK2093629169


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/02659/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].